Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 in Books


This End of 2010 Survey is being hosted by the Perpetual Page-Turner. I read a lot of great stuff this year, and discovered a ton of new (to me, at least) writers like F. Scott Fitzgerald, Kurt Vonnegut, and John Green.

I also started my blog this December. My blog isn't even a month old, but I've interacted with a lot of wonderful bloggers who are as crazy about books as me, if not more so. So, hopefully, I'll get to do this survey or something like it in this blog in the coming years.

1. Best book of 2010?

F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby. Hands down. We were supposed to read it in class two semesters ago, but I cheated and looked up the summary and chapter analyses on Sparknotes. *Please don’t hurl tomatoes at me.* A decision which I now fully regret. The Great Gatsby was completely amazing. I never knew the English language could be so beautiful.

2. Worst book of 2010?

The Perfect Wife by Lynsay Sands. This book bombed. Bombed, I tell you!

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010?

The 5th Witch by Graham Masterton. I was expecting something entertaining, at the very least, from this book, but, once again, it bombed. Things were too easy for the main character, and I never felt that he was in any real danger. With five horrid witches running all over the place, I was supposed to feel somewhat concerned. Blagh.

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010?

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larsson. I saw this book on bestseller lists everywhere, but I didn’t think it was for me. Finally, an aunt sent it to me as a present and—surprise, surprise!—I couldn’t put it down.

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010?

This is hard. Just one? No, I can’t do it. I’ll have to settle for two. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and Looking for Alaska by John Green. Both YA. Both amazing writing with a bit of philosophy thrown in.

6. Best series you discovered in 2010?

The Hunger Games series. I completely fell for The Boy With the Bread. I'd also recommend The Percy Jackson series for people who've finished Harry Potter, and want something to tide their reading appetite over. The movie version wasn't so good, but the books are really fun to read.

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010?

Another hard one. I became more adventurous when it came to book-buying this year, and I discovered a lot of new authors. F. Scott Fitzgerald is my new favorite author of all time. The new authors I discovered this year include: Rick Riordan, Cassandra Clare, Gore Vidal, Kurt Vonnegut, Junot Diaz, Orson Scott Card, Stephen Chbosky, Jonathan Tropper, J.M. Barrie, Suzanne Collins, Miguel Syjuco and John Green.

8. Most hilarious read of 2010?

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding. The first one was pretty funny, too.

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. No contest. I simply could not put the book down.

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010?

I can’t say I was “waiting” for one book in particular. I usually buy secondhand books, so there’s no room for anticipation.

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010?

I love the cover The Umbrella Man and Other Stories by Roald Dahl. I’m a lover of all things vintage, and the book cover had vintage down pat.


12. Most memorable character in 2010?

Jay Gatsby from The Great Gatsby. He showed me what ambition can do to a person, and how blind love can really be.

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010?

It wasn’t written in 2010, but I read it in 2010… Once again, The Great Gatsby.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010?

You tired of hearing it yet? LOL. The Great Gatsby. After I finished reading it, I thought about it for weeks, months even.

15. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read?

And I’m back where I started. The Great Gatsby. Why did I wait so long? You were available at National Bookstore for PHP 99! Why?!?

What books made a mark on you this 2010?

8 comments:

Amanda said...

I've heard so much praise for The Great Gatsby lately that I think I MUST give it another try. I only got through about 30 pages earlier this year on my first attempt. That might have been the really horrible copy of it I had though.

Joy Tamsin David said...

I just bought my son the Percy Jackson book for Christmas...mostly because I want to read it! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Avid Reader said...

Great list! I had fun with the Percy series this year too and The Great Gatsby is brilliant.

Allie said...

I adore The Great Gatsby. SUCH a wonderful book. And I am happy to see that you loved Looking for Alaska. It remains one of my all-time favorite books!

I hope you have a great 2011 too!

alexandra george said...

hi, i found you from the meme and just became a subscriber. i too love f scott fitzgerald, you should read his other books, i think you may like them perhaps even more than the great gatsby, (i.e. tender is the night, that's my favourite). lovely blog, i look forward to reading your posts. happy new year!!

Kristi said...

I haven't read The Great Gatsby since high school. I'll have to pick it up again. I just read Bridget Jones's Diary: Edge of Reason a couple of weeks ago. I was really ill and it was the perfect book to cheer me up. It's so silly!

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie said...

I so agree about Gatsby: the last paragraph will make you weep every time, it's so glorious.
The Hunger Games: 2 thumbs up.
Have you tried Libba Bray's books? Either A Great & Terrible Beauty or her new Going Bovine? Former = Victorian England setting, female protagonists, intrigue & passion. Latter = current day U.S., male protagonist, satire, humor. Both reads feature magical elements, and although they're not quite as compulsively page-turning as The Hunger Games, both feature fluid style/care with language, memorable characters, and confident pacing. They're a cut above most YA I read, like The Hunger Games or The Book Thief.
Laurie
www.whatsheread.blogspot.com
p.s. I admire the questions in this meme. Did you make them up or get them from a meme site?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...