Saturday, December 25, 2010

Literary Blog Hop #1

Literary Blog Hop

Welcome to the Literary Blog Hop which is hosted by The Blue Bookcase. This is my first time to participate and this week's question is:

What literary title (fiction or non-fiction) do you love that has been under-appreciated? We all know about the latest Dan Brown, and James Patterson isn't hurting for publicity. What quiet masterpiece do you want more readers to know?


This Side of Paradise, the book I'm currently reading, is widely considered F. Scott Fitzgerald's "lesser novel," somewhere beneath The Great Gatsby and Tender is the Night. It was the novel that catapulted him to literary fame and led the way to his financial success.

I admit I don't think This Side of Paradise is as beautifully written as The Great Gatsby, but it's a lighter work. It revolves around Amory Blaine, a Princeton student, and vaguely reminded me of today's preppy college boys. Also, the novel is said to be autobiographical, so I think it grants us a closer look into the inner workings Fitzgerald's mind.

What about you? Do you have any under-appreciated masterpieces to recommend?

8 comments:

James said...

This Side of Paradise sounds like it deserves to be read - I'll put it on my list to read. The idea of boys at college reminds me of a favorite of mine, although I do not believe it is "under-appreciated" -- that is Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. The early section gives a great picture of students at Oxford.

gautami tripathy said...

Adding this to my TBR pile! Thanks!

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Have a wonderful time with them!

Here is my Literary Blog Hop post!

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

I think I may be the only English major in the US who didn't like The Great Gatsby (shh, don't tell!), so maybe I should start with a lesser-known work instead. Thanks for dropping bymy blog earlier--I'm now following you, too.

mel u said...

Hi-it would be great if you could list your blog on the Filipino Book Blog directory (it should also help you build traffic and get to know a lot more local book bloggers)-the web address to do that is here

http://filipinobookbloggers.wordpress.com/

parrish lantern said...

Not read this book, so thanks for the heads up.
Parrish

readerbuzz said...

Gatsby was brilliant, and I liked Tender a lot, so I should probably seek out more of Fitzgerald.

I'm a new follower!

www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

bibliophiliac said...

This Side of Paradise is a book I read when I was still a teenager, and I loved it. Thanks for your post.

Elizabeth said...

Gatsby was excellent...need to get This Side of Paradise.

New Follower.

I am new to this blog hop...glad I found it. Nice to meet you.

Elizabeth
http://silversolara.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...