Monday, December 27, 2010

Mailbox Monday: Part Une


Mailbox Monday, a weekly meme previously hosted by The Story Siren, has now moved to Let Them Read Books. It "is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week. (Library books don’t count, but eBooks & audiobooks do). Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists!"

I have to admit it. I’m an addict. My last acquisitions for the year include:
  1. The Awakening and Selected Short Fiction by Kate Chopin - I've heard a lot of good things about The Awakening from fellow book bloggers, so, when I saw a copy at the used bookstore, I immediately snatched it up. We'll see.
  2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald – Originally, I downloaded an e-book from Gutenberg.org and read it on my phone. After I finished it, I was seized with a severe case of book lust, and went in search of my own real copy.
  3. A Plea for Eros by Siri Hustvedt
  4. This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  5. My Big Nose and Other Natural Disasters by Sydney Salter
  6. New Women and New Fiction: Short Stories Since the Sixties Edited by Susan Cahill
  7. Writing A Woman’s Life by Carolyn Heilbrun
  8. Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue
  9. Clear by Nicola Barker
  10. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak – Look, guys, I finally got a copy!
I’ve been hankering after a copy of The Book Thief, but, at PHP 435, I found the book too expensive. Clearly, I’m a miser.

An aunt gave me money for Christmas, and, of course, National Bookstore became my first destination—Book Sale being the second. When I got to the bookstore, I couldn’t find a copy anywhere, and I ended up feeling like the world was mocking me. Why, Fate, did you allow my eyes to wander all over the cover of The Book thief when my pocket was empty and now…?

After hyperventilating, I decided to ask for assistance, and a sales clerk—a very, very beautiful clerk in my eyes—led me to a shelf where, funny enough, the last two copies of The Book Thief were sandwiched between Twilight and a novel about fallen angels. As Tom Felton so blithely says, boo yeah!

Why, yes, I’m a dork.

A broke dork.

12 comments:

Allie said...

You picked up some great titles! I'm in the middle of The Awakening right now. I think this is my third time through it and I still love it. Hopefully that's encouraging. I have This Side of Paradise languishing on my shelf. Perhaps I need to give it a go soon! :)

DCMetroreader said...

Wonderful choices -- The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite all time books!

elodie2310 said...

I'm a new follower !! I had to read The Awakening for College (I'm French and I study English) and I didn't like it much because it's not really my kind ... I hope you'll enjoy it more than I did though !! =)
Happy reading !! Thanks for having stopped by my blog ;)

TheBookGirl said...

Great selections.

I read The Book Thief earlier this year, and it was, for me, a deeply affecting read. It is one of the very few books that has actually made me sob...so good, but so sad.

Lady Q said...

Great selection! I really want to read The Book Thief. Thanks for linking up to Mailbox Monday! Happy reading!

Tribute Books Mama said...

I received for review The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson from Tribute Books Reviews & Giveaways.

"I asked the sailor what an Elephant looked like; he replied that it was like nothing on earth."

England, 1766: After a long voyage from the East Indies, a ship docks in Bristol, England, and rumor quickly spreads about its unusual cargo—some say a mermaid is on board. A crowd forms, hoping to catch a glimpse of the magical creature. One crate after another is unpacked: a zebra, a leopard, and a baboon. There's no mermaid, but in the final two crates is something almost as magical—a pair of young elephants, in poor health but alive.

Seeing a unique opportunity, a wealthy sugar merchant purchases the elephants for his country estate and turns their care over to a young stable boy, Tom Page. Tom's family has long cared for horses, but an elephant is something different altogether. It takes time for Tom and the elephants to understand one another, but to the surprise of everyone on the estate, a remarkable bond is formed.

The Elephant Keeper, the story of Tom and the elephants, in Tom's own words, moves from the green fields and woods of the English countryside to the dark streets and alleys of late-eighteenth-century London, reflecting both the beauty and the violence of the age. Nicholson's lush writing and deft storytelling complement a captivating tale of love and loyalty between one man and the two elephants that change the lives of all who meet them.

Elysium said...

I really wanna read The Book Thief. Enjoy your new books!

Mystica said...

Some very good reading here. Enjoy.

Amanda said...

The Awakening!!!!!! I'm always excited when I see someone pick that one up! :D

Mary said...

Wow, great list! After reading Room I'm now curious about Emma Donoghue's other books. I'll have to look for Slammerkin. I re-read Gatsby almost every year (on vacation).

Charlie said...

I loved the Book Thief! I've become a bit of a book miser too.

Charlie
Bitsy Bling Books

Kerry said...

Great haul! I've been eying The Book Thief on my shelf for some time. Same story with Slammerkin. I haven't read any of Donoghue yet but hear good things all around!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...