Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Latest Acquisitions: Part Deux

My main goal for 2011 is for my to-be-read pile to be taller than me, and I'm halfway there. Kidding. About the real height of my to-be-read pile, not my actual, you know, goal. Heh heh heh.

Anyway, here are my recent acquisitions. I wasn't able to get my hands on a digital camera this time, so I tried to find photos of the covers of the editions I own instead.

  1. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - A present from my mother. I'm really excited to get started on this one. When I think of classics, the first writer who comes into my mind is Dickens. Unfortunately, though, I've only read A Christmas Carol, so I don't feel like a true classics afficionado yet.
  2. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens - We meet again, Charlie. We meet again. Sorry, I'm weird. Couldn't help myself.
  3. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert - I originally wanted the new Lydia Davis translation but a) it's not available at local bookstores yet and b) even if it was available, I probably couldn't afford it. I do love the cover of this edition, though. The lady on the cover looks a lot like Anne Hathaway.

I've developed a real liking for Penguin Popular Classics editions. At PHP 99 which is roughly about two dollars, they're very cheap. I have my eye on A Tale of Two Cities at the moment, and will probably buy it once I finish either Great Expectations or Oliver Twist.

What are your latest acquisitions? :)

7 comments:

Misha said...

I love Charles Dickens! Great Expectations and Oliver Twist were my favourites .
It's creepy how much the lady on the cover of Madame Bovary resembles Anne Hathaway :D

Marisa said...

Enjoy Madame Bovary! I read it for the first time last year (in my pre-blog days) and enjoyed it pretty well!

Allie said...

Madame Bovary is excellent! Definitely a favorite of mine.

I am hosting an Oliver Twist readalong in February if you want to join in! I think you should!

Sam said...

I love Madame Bovary. I can't get on with Dickens though, I started Great Expectations but never finished it. Which would be the best one to start with (aside from A Christmas Carol)?

Erin said...

I've not read any of those, but they're all on my list! I just got an eReader, so I'm reading a lot of free classics on there, but the ones I like I know I'll end up buying in physical form, at which point I'm sure I'll develop a favorite publisher/line!

mel u said...

I am joining in the Oliver Twist read-a-long-I read it 15 or so years ago-those 99 peso penguins are a good deal-I also wanted the new Lydia Davis edition of Madame Bovary but passed on it-I hope you will join the Oliver Twist read-along-

Jenny O. said...

Loved A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations, his more accessible works.

She DOEs look like Hathaway....how weird!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...