Thursday, January 6, 2011

Literary Blog Hop #2

Literary Blog Hop

Literary Blog Hop is hosted by The Blue Bookcase, and this week's question is:

How did you find your way to reading literary fiction and nonfiction?

When my mother and her siblings were kids, my grandfather bought a set of classics for them with volumes like Treasure Island, Gulliver’s Travels, Little Women, and more. Since I was little, I’ve loved their yellowed pages and their old-book smell that I think only bibliophiles can truly appreciate. I grew up knowing that I was going to read those books someday, as soon as I was old enough.

The first volume I finished was Little Women, and I absolutely loved it. I wanted to be a part of the March family, and I particularly liked Jo March with her ink-stained face and her dreams of being a writer. You could call Little Women my gateway book to classic literature. I soon started reading other classics, and two of the classics I read during high school, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, are still my favorites today.

9 comments:

mel u said...

I am noticing that two of my three daughters-12, 14, and 17 are now looking through my book shelves regularly for books to read-even some of our neighbors come to our house to look for books to read-I am encouraging them now to read Harry Potter and some memoirs on WWII in the Philippines written at the YA level-My 12 year old is reading through the very long edition of the Grimm fairy tales now!

breadcrumbreads said...

Oh, I LOVE the smell of old books! They make me dizzy with pleasure! And though I cannot remember the first classics I ever read, I can remember the first unabridged one I read - Pride & Prejudice - and it is still a favourite of mine too.:D

Risa

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I like abridged works in many ways. It gives you the flavor of the story and makes you long to know more.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I'm a new follower!

Here's my post for the Literary Blog Hop.

parrish lantern said...

Am with mel, my daughter (9) at the moment reads harry potter, but she's the only kid at her school who knows who Bolano,Murakami, Mishima Etc are.

JessiKay89 said...

Thank you for stopping by! :) This is a great post. You're totally right--there's just something about an old classic sitting on a shelf that calls out to our bookish selves!

Trisha said...

The classics are just so wonderful, and it's great to see others appreciating them! My thoughts are at eclectic/eccentric

Elizabeth said...

Love To Kill a Mockingbird...what wonderful answers and stories from everyone.

My story is at: http://silversolara.blogspot.com

emeire said...

There is something fascinating about old books and the covers can be so old-fashioned!
Em

LifetimeReader said...

These were the same books that drew me in! My son is now swooning over To Kill a Mockingbird, and I love watching him become a bookworm.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...