Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Top Ten Books I Wish I'd Read as a Kid

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. This is my first time to participate, so welcome! I'm Darlyn, and this is my blog Your Move, Dickens. Look around, check out some of my past reviews, and please leave a comment if you can spare the time. :)

1. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Stargirl is a really spunky heroine, and would have been an amazing inspiration to my eleven-year-old self. She knew exactly who she was, and she was true to herself without caring what other people thought.

2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Another heroine I could've learned a lot from as a kid. Like Stargirl, Jane knows exactly who she is, and fights for what she thinks is right. Also, I could've used a little Bronte when I was a kid, since my reading diet consisted mostly of Goosebumps books.

3. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
I love, love, love this book, and I think it would've been a great experience if I read it at eleven, the same age as Liesel Meminger in the book.

4. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
I loved the animated series when I was a kid. Too bad I still haven't read the books.

5. Daddy Long-Legs by Jean Webster
Ditto.

6. From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
This book was featured in a children's magazine when I was in elementary school, and I agonized about getting a copy for months. I finally found a copy at a secondhand bookstore last week, almost a decade later. Fate works in mysterious ways sometimes.

7. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
I was gigantic fan of the Disney film. Don't tell anybody, but I used to watch it everyday when I was little. I have a feeling I would have enjoyed the book more.

8. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Again, my reading diet was composed of mostly Goosebumps books, and Treasure Island would have brought something completely different to the table.

9. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
This book made me realize that I could really make a living from writing, and that I wasn't the only kid in the world scribbling stories on scraps of paper. On Writing told me I wasn't alone, and turned me into a major Stephen King fan. I only wish I got my hands on it when I was younger.

10. The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
I've only read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, but this feels like a wonderful series to grow up with.

20 comments:

TwoBibliomaniacs said...

Anne and Peter Pan made my list. I also loved Jane Eyre!

Kristi said...

I didn't read the Chronicles of Narnia until I was an adult. I didn't end up loving it, but I think if I had read it in my adolescence I would have. :( Same story with Peter Pan.

Daddy-Long-Legs is wonderful! I wish I had read it when I was younger. Jerusha cracked me up!

Brenna said...

I read Treasure Island last year and I think I would have benefited greatly had I read it as a kid.

Tribute Books Mama said...

here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-10-best-debut-books.html

Sam said...

Nothing wrong with Goosebumps! I loved Anne of Green Gables as a child and I think I did benefit from it a lot. I didn't really enjoy the Narnia chronicles though.

lisa :) said...

I just read Anne of Green Gables for the first time this past week! (I had seen the movies but never picked up the actual text.) I do wish I had experienced it as a young(er) reader, but it was still a very enjoyable book!

Avid Reader said...

I loved the Narnia Books, Anne of Green Gables and The Mixed up Files when I was in grade school. All of those have really stuck with me. The Book Thief is one of my favorites as well and I woner if I would have loved it even more if I'd read it when I was younger.

Birdie said...

Ooooh, it's definitely time for me to re-read Daddy Long-Legs.
I need to put Stargirl on my TBR list too.
Great list!

Laurie said...

Love Stargirl: I'm glad you thought of it!

Red said...

The Mixed Up Files was one of my favorite children's books. I always wanted to live in a museum. On Writing isn't a book I wish I'd read as a kid but it is one I want to read now.

Heather said...

I loved the Mixed-Up Files...though I probably read it right after it came out lo those many years ago...I'm pretty sure On Writing is about the only Stephen King book I haven't read...no ghosts or aliens or creepy clowns :)

Ellen said...

mixed-up files is one of my favorite books...just seeing it mentioned on here makes me want to find a copy and reread it. i hope you enjoy it! i love that you included books that weren't published when you were a kid but that you wished you could have read...thinking about the books i wish i could have read when i was younger may last me for days.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I like your list and the reasons you give for each book. =) I was really lucky that someone got me Jane Eyre when I was younger and that I found From the Mixed-up Files . . . for myself when I figured out I could choose my own books.

Your wish that you had mixed some classics in with your Goosebumps novels (which I enjoyed as well in my childhood) reminds me of C.S. Lewis' advice that you should read at least one old book for every three new ones. I learned that only this year and am trying to be more aware of when the books I'm reading were published. It's always nice to mix them up some more, you know? =)

Read the Book said...

I love your blog (and not least for its AWESOME name), so I've awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award! See my post for how to pass it on if you would like.

Jayme @ Horribly Bookish said...

I love the Mixed-Up Files...in fact I bought a copy not too long ago so I could reread it!

S.L. Bookworm said...

One of the books I wish I'd read younger was The Catcher in the Rye. I read it at 17 and thought Holden was a whiny little snot. I guess I had just passed the identifying threshold.

On the other hand, having just picked up/reviewed Stephen King, I don't know if I would have appreciated his book as much when I was younger.

Suko said...

Hi, I am new to your terrific blog. I have read--and loved--each of the books on your list, except for Daddy Long-Legs, which I've never before heard of! :)

LifetimeReader said...

Isn't it incredible that some of these classics were debut novels?!

bibliophilica said...

I agree with you regarding "On Writing." I've read it more than once, and you're right, it does really make it seem possible to be a writer...
-Jay

Reymos said...

You are lucky to read these books when you were a kid/teens. Unfortunately, my family could not afford to buy us (10 siblings) books, except for academic ones or required reading in high school days (The Three Musketeers, Merchant of Venice and some of Shakespeares' writings). Im catching up right now and reading these books as an adult is much enjoyable. Ive read half way of no.9 and I just finished The Magician's Nephew which should be read first in the CS Lewis' Narnia series to have a better understanding of Narnia world. Well, I can remember the stories of "Ang Pagong at ang Matsing" and some of Bible stories...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...