Monday, February 7, 2011

Happy Birthday, Charlie!


Happy Birthday, Charles Dickens!

I only found out when Mel U of The Reading Life told me through the comments. Thanks, Mel. :) This special event needs to be commemorated, because I did name my blog after the writer. I already did a post about Dickens's personal life a couple of days ago, so, on his birthday, I'm going to talk about one of his descendants.


This is Gerald Charles Dickens, Charles Dickens's great-grandson. He's an actor who travels all over the United Kingdom and the United States performing one-man shows based on the novels of--guess! guess!--Charles Dickens.

Based on pictures, I think he looks a lot like his great-grandfather, but maybe it's just the beard...

***


On a different but still related note, Allie over at A Literary Odyssey is hosting an Oliver Twist Readalong this February. Here's the posting schedule:

  • Post 1 will go up on February 8th (Tuesday) and will cover Book 1 (roughly 180 pages-the longest section)
  • Post 2 will go up on February 17th (Thursday) and will cover Book 2 (roughly 120 pages)
  • Post 3 will go up on February 28th (Monday) and will cover Book 3 (roughly 140 pages)

5 comments:

Misha said...

Wow! I didn't know anything about Gerald Charles Dickens. Thanks for the info! He does look like Charles Dickens.

mel u said...

I also knew nothing of his nephew-I think Feb 8 2012 will be the 200th birthday of Mr Dickens-I bet the book blog world will be ablaze with Dickens events that day!

Kristi said...

My six-year old had to do a report on a famous Victorian today and he chose Charles Dickens. He was pretty excited that he was able to do it on his birthday. Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize his grandson performs his works. Interesting.

Avid Reader said...

Happy b-day Charles! That is fascinating about his great grandson.

Zibilee said...

Yay! Happy Birthday, Charles! And I must say, his great grandson is very easy on the eyes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...