Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Love is in the air, and those horrid pink and red hearts are everywhere. I better stop there because I don't want to seem like a Valentine's Day Scrooge. :P To commemorate the occasion, I decided to list down my five favorite couples from literature.


1. Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice
Do I even need to explain this one? It's Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. freaking DARCY. Pride and Prejudice was my "gateway" book to classic literature. I read it, loved it, and decided to read more classics. Like millions of other women, I blame Mr. Darcy for my too high standards when it comes to men. He set the bar too high.


2. Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre
I love this couple, because they're so different from any other literary couple I've ever come across. They set the standard for truly loving someone for, well, being themselves, not just because they're beautiful or rich. And they had this intense connection. Jane was Mr. Rochester's equal, the one person who really understood him.


3. Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series
I'm sorry Harry and Ginny shippers, but Ron and Hermione own me. I really liked seeing how their romance developed throughout the books, and even the movies. Also, I love that scene from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 where Hermione is playing the piano and Ron just stares at her with this sappy look on his face. Awwwwww.


4. Emma Woodhouse and Mr. Knightley from Emma
Emma begins with this sentence: Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich. It doesn't mention, though, that she's slightly manipulative and spoiled. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately), Mr. Knightley is the only one who can handle her. His level-levelheadedness and maturity balances her impulsiveness. A perfect match.


5. Peeta and Katniss from The Hunger Games
I couldn't sleep for days because of this couple. I just had to finish The Hunger Games as soon as possible, mainly because I HAD to know if they were going to end up together. Suzanne Collins managed to make me fall in love completely with both characters, and I ended up wishing I had my own Boy With the Bread.

What about you? Who are your favorite fictional couples?

10 comments:

Amanda said...

I love that you pictured that exact Jane and Rochester!! My husband and I love that movie version, and actually bought the DVDs for each other for Vday this year. :D

Darlyn (Your Move, Dickens) said...

I watched the BBC version on New Years' Eve. LOL. Toby Stephens is perfect as Mr. Rochester. Happy Valentine's Day. :)

Stephanie M. Hasty said...

Hello,

I have received the Stylish Blogger Award and am passing it on to you for your lovely blog! :)

http://smhasty.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blog-awardyippie-award.html

Red said...

I LOVE that you called Pride and Prejudice your "gateway" book. Cute list, by the way!

Zibilee said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you too! I love your list and have to agree with all your couples!

Avid Reader said...

I love your list! I'm with you and Amanda too, that version of Jane Eyre is fantastic.

lisa :) said...

Great picks! The only couple I would definitely add is Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe from the Anne of Green Gables series. Much like Ron and Hermione, Anne and Gil know each other from a young age and begin with friendship (and animosity) before growing into their love. So sweet!

Brenna said...

Great list! And good call on Ron and Hermione! I almost forgot about that one.

Teacher/Learner said...

I'm watching When Harry Met Sally to celebrate V-Day. They're one of my fave fictional couples :)

Sharon said...

Hope you had a great Valentine's Day! I like your list, lovely! One of my favorite fictional couples (Besides Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy) is Stephanie Plum and Morelli. No serious reading there, it's just for fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...