Friday, February 4, 2011

Latest Acquisitions: Part Three


I have a humble haul today. I've been busy with school lately--my thesis is killing me--so I haven't had much time to go book shopping or do any kind of shopping in general, not that I could afford it since I'm a student of meager means. But I digress.

As usual, my books were bought secondhand from Booksale. Here are my latest acquisitions:
  1. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier - This children's classic was a steal at PHP 10 which is about 23 cents (USD). The book is actually set in a boys' boarding school, and I've heard that it's quite dark.
  2. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison - Frankly, I have no idea what this book is about. I saw it on the Currently Reading section of a follow book blogger (sorry, I forgot who), and, two days later, I found a copy of it at the secondhand bookstore. I've always confused Invisible Man with THE Invisible Man by H.G. Wells which I also aim to read this 2011. On a different note, I can't find an actual physical copy of the latter, so I might have to settle for an e-book from Gutenberg.
  3. Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson - I opened the first page and was hooked. Such poetic language. I'm really excited for this one. I might not post my thoughts on this, though, since it's not a/related to a classic.
And that concludes today's Latest Acquisitions.

What about you? What are your latest acquisitions? I'd love to hear about them.

11 comments:

Elodie said...

Enjoy ;) !!!

Jillian said...

The Ralph Ellison book is on my list, too. It's a biography about a man's experience with racial inequality in (the 1930s, I think.)

Kathmeista said...

Woo, they look good. Would love to hear what you think of Lighthousekeeping. I recently acquired The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (book club); The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver (Book Club) and Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah (Bookcrossing).

Read the Book said...

Invisible Man is excellent! I actually read it in high school for an English class (which, looking back, is quite shocking). It does have some difficult bits, but it is a very honest, insightful look into what it was like to be black in America in the 1930s.

Avid Reader said...

I read Invisible Man last year and am currently reading Well's The Invisible Man. Both good in their own way, but they couldn't be more different.

Zibilee said...

I have not read any of these books, but I have heard of them all, and they all sound quite interesting. I am going to be particularly interested in what you think of The Chocolate Wars. Happy reading to you!

Teacher/Learner said...

I also get those two Invisible Man titles confused. I got 3 challenge books recently--The Gunslinger, Middlesex & A is For Alibi. Now if only I can get going on my other books to actually READ them :D

mel u said...

I read The Invisible Man long ago-it is a very powerful account of race relations in America

booklineandsinker said...

i scored few goodies this week, including a cookbook! i read the chocolate war in high school, i think, and remember being engrossed. here's to great, book-filled weekend!

Stephanie M. Hasty said...

i love this post, as new old books are the best!
i just bought the kidlet circus counting and imogene's antlers and myself little bee and dr. no :)

LBC said...

Invisible Man is a great book. Enjoy it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...