Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oliver Twist Readalong: Part 2

This is my second post for the Oliver Twist Readalong which is hosted by Allie at A Literary Odyssey. The third and final post will be posted on Feb. 28, 2010. I didn't think I would able to catch up since I've been really busy at school with University Week. Thankfully, I got to do some reading yesterday in between errands, and I finally caught up. So, boo yeah!

Anyway, Oliver Twist is turning out to be quite a quick read. There are some parts that drag, but it's like Dickens can read my mind. Every time I start getting bored, he comes up with a new plot twist, and I become interested again.

For example, Oliver was captured by Fagin and Co., and they locked up him up in a room. Things were getting monotonous, but then--tada!--Oliver becomes a pawn in a robbery.

Dickens is also amazing when it comes to crafting characters. As a novice writer, I'm learning a lot from him about making characters, even the minor ones, interesting. Seriously, his characters leap off the pages. They're all so well-rounded with clear motives. Mr. Bumble, for example, is a conceited church beadle, who reveres the Board more than God. However, he's also susceptible to the charms of a lonely window.

For me, the most interesting characters so far are Fagin and the Artful Dodger. I'm also itching to find out what this mysterious Monks fellow is up to, and what he has to do with Oliver's past. Oliver's new friends, Rose and her mysterious beginnings in particular, are quite interesting.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the book.

3 comments:

L.L. said...

I love your description of Mr. Bumble. I think he has been the most interesting character for me to read so far because he is so awful but so sure of his own goodness. And I think the name Bumble is so perfect for him. Great post!

Bookworm1858 said...

I'm really enjoying this Dickens after the very long Bleak House which I read last year. It moves fairly quickly and there are enough characters for it to be interesting but not so many that it's confusing. Great post!

Zibilee said...

I have all of Dickens' works, just haven't had time to explore all of them just yet. My classic read for March is going to be A Tale of Two Cities, but I am thinking of adding Oliver Twist into the mix sometime too. Glad to hear it's keeping you entertained!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...