Monday, February 28, 2011

Oliver Twist Readalong: Part 3 / In Which I Get Spoilerific


This my third and final post for the Oliver Twist Readalong which is hosted by Allie at A Literary Odyssey.

I am not the most patient of people, so that probably explains why I sped through the last 100 pages of Oliver Twist until the words were a blur before my eyes. I apologize in advance if this post seems all over the place. I just finished consuming a bar of chocolate, so I'm a little hyper. Off the top of my head, here are some of my barely coherent while-reading thoughts:
  1. I’m not going to cry because *SPOILER* Bill Sikes killed Nancy. *END OF SPOILER.* No, I’m not going to cry. *Sniff. Sniff.*
  2. The Artful Dodger’s funny even if he’s going to be, you know, kicked out of the Kingdom. LOLOLOL.
  3. Why do you keep bogging down the plot with useless details, Charlie? Why, I ask you? Why?!?!?! I don’t need to read about how filthy Jacob’s Island was, because you’ve already told me about a gazillion times how hard life was for people during Victorian times. I don’t want to hear it again. I want to hear about Sikes, and Nancy, and maybe even Noah Claypole. Just stop with the descriptions already. I can’t take it anymore.
  4. Hah! Oliver is magically connected to people who shall remain nameless in this post. I saw that coming. Hah! I feel so proud of myself.
  5. Why aren’t you eating your head, Mr. Grimwig? You said you would if so-and-so happened. I’m waiting. *Taps foot impatiently.*
  6. Harry Maylie, that had to be the best proposal. Ever. Except maybe for Mr. Darcy’s.
What about you? Any thoughts on Oliver Twist?

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I thought the ending with Rose and Harry was very sweet. What a sacrifice! I was a little grossed out by the description of what you listed as a spoiler. It wasn't just the graphic nature, but how savage it seemed. So sad!

I'm kind of "meh" on this this one. I've enjoyed his other books so much more, but I still think it was worth a read.

Zibilee said...

I didn't read this whole post because I am planning on reading this soon and don't want to hit any spoilers! I am glad that you liked this one, and am wondering what your next Dickens read is going to be?

Allie said...

#1!!!!! I KNOW!!!! CRAZY!

I also thought the proposal was very sweet. I melted inside, and then I remembered Dickens wrote it and freaked out a bit. Someone was a softie I think. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for participating!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...