Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Latest Acquisitions: Part Five


I've been trying to enforce a book-buying ban, but that clearly didn't work.

Here are some of my latest acquisitions:
  • The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver - I know only two things about this book a) it's set in the Belgian Congo and b) it was chosen by Oprah for her book club. I've heard a lot of good things about it from other bloggers, and I shrieked in delight when I saw it at my favorite secondhand bookstore. Really looking forward to this one.
  • A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens - This book is a gift from my friend Donna. Thanks! I read Great Expectations and Oliver Twist this year, so I don't plan on reading this book anytime soon. I might overdose on Charles Dickens.
  • Death in Venice and Other Stories by Thomas Mann - I've been eying this book for quite a while now, but it was too expensive. Again, I shrieked from delight when I saw it at the sale bin in National Bookstore. Awesome book + sale = WIN! Although, I don't understand the logic here. Why was Death in Venice in the sale bin? Can't you people recognize the pure awesomeness radiating from this book?
  • The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton - I loved Ethan Frome, so I've been wanting to read Edith Wharton's other work. However, when I found this copy of The Age of Innocence, I DID NOT shriek in delight. I loathe movie tie-in editions, particularly this one where Michelle Pfeiffer's mouth is half-open in a rather disturbing way. Who am I to complain, though? This copy was only two dollars. *Shrugs.*
What about you? What are your latest acquisitions?

11 comments:

Trish said...

The Poison Wood Bible is good. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I just acquired a lovely old worn copy of Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer. It got mixed reviews, but, -ehn- it was only a couple of bucks, so . . .

Don't you just love used books?

Kristi said...

I really loved The Poisonwood Bible when I read it several years ago. It is on of my favorites. I remember liking A Tale of Two Cities, but not nearly as much as Great Expectations.

Zibilee said...

I just read the first section of A Tale of Two Cities, and am loving it. Be prepared that the first two chapters are very difficult though, and in the past when I had tried to read the book, I gave up before I had passed them. This might not be a problem for you though, as I have a feeling you are a very discerning reader.

I also loved The Poisonwood Bible, and read it twice. It was such an amazing book, and I think it was Kingsolver's best. Enjoy all your new reads!

llevinso said...

I just reviewed The Poisonwood Bible about a month ago:http://femalebookreader.blogspot.com/2011/02/review-for-you-poisonwood-bible.html
I thought it was good but not terrific, probably because I wanted to love it so much.

And I really really need to read some Wharton soon!

Ben said...

Ugh! Mann can be a baseball bat to the face sometimes. I never read this one, but his Magic Mountain was intense. Those are short stories though. Probably easier to handle.

L.L. said...

The Age of Innocence is fabulous. Have fun!

I have been trying to read A Tale of Two Cities for about 8 years. We'll see if I ever manage it.

Sam said...

You're going to love the Poisonwood Bible. My copy of it was once new but is now a bit battered after being lent to all of my friends and family.

I still haven't got around to reading any Dickens :/

Lesa said...

Great finds! I bought a used copy of Age of Innocence recently too-- and it has the movie cover. Yeah, not the most attractive cover-- did you notice it could be the cover of a paranormal romance? Looks like the guy is biting her neck-- but she looks to be more in pain than bliss. haha

Please consider linking to this week's Bargain Book Bonanza-- the linky is open through Thursday. We'd love for you to join the party!

:o)

Erin said...

I just read The Poisonwood Bible last month for the first time and LOVED it. The narrators' voices are so distinct; it's just wonderful. I hope you enjoy your new books!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

The Poisonwood Bible is awesome. enjoy

bibliophilica said...

The Poisonwood Bible sounds good. I read a non-fiction book about the Colonial era of the Belgian Congo a couple years ago. It was very good, but disturbing... It's called "King Leopold's Ghost" if you want to look into it.
-Jay

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...