Saturday, April 2, 2011

Latest Acquisitions: Part Six


Okay, I know posted my Latest Acquisitions only a couple of days ago, but I couldn’t help myself. At this very moment, I am a camper of the ridiculously happy variety. I went to my favorite bookstore this afternoon, and was overwhelmed by the number of classics in store. There were a couple of books by Henry James, numerous copies of Kate Chopin’s The Awakening, and two copies of The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Here are the ones I did buy:
  • Siddhartha by Herman Hesse – I’ve been eying this book for quite a while now, but, as usual, it was ridiculously expensive for such a short book. Luckily, I found a somewhat battered but still readable copy today.
  • The Pearl by John Steinbeck – Since I completely loved Of Mice and Men, I immediately grabbed this one when I saw it. So excited for this one.
  • To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf – This book, folks, is the reason why I’m a camper of the ridiculously happy variety today. I’ve been looking for a copy of this book for sooo long. I have no idea why local bookstores don’t stock anything by Virginia Woolf, Kurt Vonnegut, or Jonathan Tropper—that, however, is a subject for an entirely different post. I’m so glad I found a copy today. Boo yeah!
  • Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy – I’ve heard that this book is beautiful but quite depressing.
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy – I’m also quite excited for this one. The cover just screams adventure and daring. I’m expecting something along the lines of The Count of Monte Cristo.
  • The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington – I read once that this book was one of Fitzgerald’s inspirations while writing The Great Gatsby, one of my favorite books of all time, so I had to read this book.
  • The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene – The last book, which can’t be seen in the photo because I… Gah, I can’t think of a proper excuse.
And I bought all this for PHP 110 which is about two dollars. Once more, I am a camper of the ridiculously happy variety today. :)

8 comments:

Misha said...

I still haven't read anything by Virginia Woolf! I love Jude the Obscure. You're right, it's very depressing.

Ben said...

To The Lighthouse is the bomb. It's a little hard to read but it's good times. Good catch.

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

Great haul! I've read three of them myself. When you mention your favorite local bookstore, should I assume based on the condition of these books that their stock is all used and not new? And if so, would you generalize that most used bookstores there price books similarly? It seems like used books here in the US are much more expensive...

Sharon said...

I love most anything Steinbeck wrote. You have a stack of great old ones, hope you enjoy them!

Beth said...

Awesome finds! I loved Jude the Obscure, and it is rather depressing. Looking forward to the future reviews!

mel u said...

great score-may I ask what bookstore you were referring to?

Zibilee said...

I read one book by Hesse that I wasn't really find of, but I have heard good things about the one you chose. I also tried to read Jude the Obscure several years ago, and didn't have much luck. I think I could tackle it now, though! Great pile you've got there. I am always ridiculously happy when I buy good books!

simplerpastimes said...

Another nice selection. I haven't read any of those specific titles (yet!), but I've read another of Hardy's novels and while he does tend toward depressing, I enjoyed it as a reading experience. I'd like to read more of his work, actually. Enjoy your new books!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...