Saturday, April 30, 2011

Thoughts: Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw

I’ve got a ton of stuff to do, so I’m just going to babble a bit. Off the top of my head, here are some of my thoughts on George Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion:

  • Who needs Google Earth when you’ve got Henry Higgins? Seriously, this dude can determine where you’re from just by listening to the tone of your voice. I can differentiate between a Brooklyn and Southern accent, but that’s the extent of my abilities. Professor Higgins can determine which district a person is from. Awesome.
  • I loved the arguments/discourses/discussions about language, and Shaw showed how superficial people can be. When Eliza Doolittle talked and dressed like a duchess, nobody cared about who she really was. They just accepted her, but I bet they would’ve been horrified if they found out she was a “common guttersnipe.”
  • I love Colonel Pickering. That is all.
  • Freddie, Eliza’s main love interest, was boring. He had no gumption, and I could totally imagine Eliza bossing him around.
  • There’s a hilarious essay (??) at the end of the play where Shaw discussed marriage prospects, and why Eliza couldn’t end up with a character who shall remain nameless in this post
  • Totally entertained by this play, particularly by the repartee between Eliza and Henry Higgins.

Rating: 4/5

10 comments:

mooderino said...

Good review of a great play that has everything, including no singing.

mood
Moody Writing

Trisha said...

I read this ages ago, and I remember loving it. I loved the whole premise of the book and found the execution beautifully rendered. Glad you enjoyed it!

Zibilee said...

I haven't read this book, but I know the premise. It sounds like something I would love though, and I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the book!

llevinso said...

I haven't read this one yet but you make it sound like a must.

simplerpastimes said...

I have to admit I was surprised by Shaw's essay of who Eliza should end up with, but only because at the time I read this I had already seen My Fair Lady, which was based on this. It didn't end quite the same...

I should read this again, though. And I totally agree about Colonel Pickering!

Jillian said...

Oh, this is the original that inspired My Fair Lady? Now I want it!!

Red said...

I keep meaning to pick this up and never have but I hear it's fantastic. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll try to get to it sooner now!

Avid Reader said...

I loved this one too. Higgins is such a jerk, but his banter with Eliza is perfect!

Rebecca Reid said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this play. I have it on my shelf to read!

celawerdblog said...

I have not read the original play, but I love My Fair Lady!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...