Thursday, June 30, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Size Matters


Hi everyone. This is my first time to participate in Booking Through Thursday, so, if you're new here, hi and welcome to Your Move, Dickens. I'm Darlyn, and we usually talk about classics around these parts. This week's Booking Through Thursday topic is:
What’s the largest your personal library has ever been? What’s the greatest number of books you’ve ever owned at one time? (Estimates are fine.)
Is your collection NOW the biggest it’s ever been? Or have you down-sized?
What’s the fewest number of books you’ve ever owned (not counting your pre-reading years)?
I wish my personal collection looked like this.

I currently have around 300 books, more or less. If you look at my shelf, you'll probably think I'm bipolar, since the genres are all over the place. I have a lot of Stephen King thrown in with romance, fantasy, young adult, chick lit, and, of course, classics. Each month, I seem to go through a phase where I buy just one particular genre (it could be chick lit, fantasy, or something else), resulting in the eclectic mess that is my personal library.

Most of my books are secondhand, due to the fact that I'm addicted to secondhand bookstores. I can't walk out of one without buying something, anything. It's a sickness.

My collection now is probably the biggest it has ever been. I've been buying books for as long as I can remember, but I used to give away the ones I finished. For some reason, I've turned into a hoarder these past couple of years, so you'll have to rip a book away from my death grip, before I can give it away.

And the fewest number of books I've ever owned? This is a tough question, because I barely remember my pre-addiction to secondhand bookstores self. It seems so long ago. I turned into a total bookworm in the third grade, when I got hooked on Nancy Drew mysteries. So, I remember owning a few Nancy Drew books and storybooks. I think they occupied one shelf on my bookshelf, while the rest were filled with toys. Now, I have a bookshelf divided into six shelves, and they're full. I hope I can get another one soon. Heh. Heh.

What about you? How's your personal library doing? Are you trying to expand or trim it down?

19 comments:

mooderino said...

I'm always getting rid of books (charity shops mostly), now i'll only buy stuff i know I'll read more than once, anyhting that might be interesting I'll get through the library first. I'm down to one bookcase, used to be many, many more.

mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino

Nikki . said...

Gorgeous photo... I seldom get rid of books... I like holding onto them as I have a pretty even mix between non-fiction and fiction and never know when I will want to check something... Don't often have as much time as I would like to be able to reread a book but ever hopeful. http://unicornslaststand.blogspot.com/

Ludy said...

Me, I'm trimming it down!

Funny you should mention Nancy Drew. I was given a great big box of them when I was about six years old and not only were they my first "library" but they turned me into a bookworm as well.

Andi said...

Great question, and I enjoyed reading your answer to this addiction question. :D My library is probably the largest it's ever been. I probably own a cool 500 books, but many of them are in storage at the moment. :(

Lisa (Lisa's World of Books) said...

I had all the Nancy Drew books in yellow hard covers. Funny what you remember. I wish there was a small resale book place by me. I would so do that!

My BTT answer.

Kristy Powers said...

I think my previous comment got lost when I went to follow you on Twitter. :) I love eclectic messes of books!

Here's my BTT answer: http://schooloutofschool.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday-size-matters.html

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I prefer to think of it as "collecting" rather than "hoarding," LOL, but my daughter calls me a hoarder. I remind her that the hoarders on that show collect trash! And junk. Not precious books!

Here's MY BTT POST

Tiny Library said...

I'm with you on the addiction to second hand bookshops. I'm trying to cut down on acquiring new books as I can't bear to throw any away so am rapidly running out of space!

nashvillebookworm said...

Welcome to BtT!

And not being able to leave a second hand book store empty handed is not a crime. There are so many lonely books in there looking for a good home. I've got a really good one in my area that has a good trade policy...so I tend to trade books and then get about half the number back in return. It sort of reduces the collection's size from time to time. Notice how I say sort of here...:)

llevinso said...

I wish my personal collection looked like that too! Great minds think alike ;)

Hmm, I’m going to have to start doing some math for this question. It’s a tricky one!

Tribute Books Mama said...

That really grew into a nice collection of books.

here's mine:

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday_30.html

Zibilee said...

My library is out of control at this point. I think I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1600 books, and even I think that is crazy. I have books all over the place, including stacks on the floor, several bookcases, and boxes in the garage. It's a sickness, I tell you, a sickness. I try to give away everything except the books I am really emotionally attached to once I have read it, but that still leaves a heck of a lot of books. I am slowly building up the courage to maybe cull some of the ones I am never going to get the chance to read.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I, like you, wish that photo was from my house!

Ubiquitous...that's books for me...Booking Through Thursday: Size Matters.

Allie said...

I continually tell my husband that I need more bookshelves. I own far too many books and continue to acquire more, so I am the wrong person to answer this question. My guess is that I own 1400 or so titles, but I'm not positive. My goal this summer is to cull some titles, but since I have a hard time letting go of some of them, I don't know how far I'll actually get.

Brenna said...

I need to invest in a new bookshelf as well. The two I have now are overflowing, and I've also got a few large stacks throughout the house.

Sharon said...

This is a fun post. I keep telling myself I have to trim back. I haul books off to trade at used book shops, donate to charity, & give them to friends BUT....my shelves are still full and overflowing! YIKES!

kittens not kids said...

I love secondhand bookstores. Even more, I love used book sales at libraries and schools. It's where most of my books come from, I think.

I have never counted my collection. But this BTT has tempted me to start a count....

I can never get rid of my books. I sold a couple of grad school course books (that I hated) a couple of years ago, and even that was a gut-wrenching experience!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've been trimming mine, but them new books arrive each week (mostly from publishers). I try to donate book or give to friends once I've read the book, but I am still at about 600 unread books.

The least amount of books I've owned as an adult has been about 50.

_J_R_L_ said...

Always a numbers guy through school, the written word never fancied my interest until but recently. The past year or so has found me buying books with a passion (I can't be stopped!). So much so that in hopes of getting through them all I should probably, somehow, learn to read a bit faster. :/ Suggestions welcome.

Curiosity led me to the number: a young 178...

Great Blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...