Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Sunday Salon: I'm Alive


If anyone is wondering, I am, in fact, still alive.

The thing is, I haven’t actually read that many classics this June. Well, actually, I haven’t read a single classic this month. I’ve been busy looking for a job, and I’m glad to report that I now have one. Maybe the impending sense of doom also known as adulthood has forced me to retreat into the things familiar to me a.k.a being a teenager.

I read a ton of YA novels this month, mostly by Sarah Dessen who has become one of my absolute favorites. She captures that “summer” feeling so well. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan and John Green has become one of my favorite books.

The book tackles homosexuality in a completely fresh way, and I really liked the concept of Schroedinger's cat. Basically, Schroedinger states that if you put a cat in a box and cover, the cat is alive and dead at the same time. You won’t know until you open the box, which is a brilliant metaphor for taking risks.

I’m slowly easing back into the classics after reading so much contemporary stuff. I’m currently reading The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It’s a young adult classic, which, I think, is a great easing-back-into-classics book.

So, what have you been up to this June? Can you recommend other young adult classics? I would love to hear your thoughts!

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Summer seems to be the time for contemp fiction - a lot of us are reading in that direction right now!

Teacher/Learner said...

Congratulations on the job! I like that metaphor of the cat in the box. I'll have to remember that one.

Tiny Library said...

Congrats on the job! Do you only post classic reviews on your blog? Because I would be interested in the contemporary reviews too.

YA classics - all I can think of is I Capture the Castle.

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I haven't read much YA, but I've been thinking I should explore Dessen.

Here's what my week looked like:

MY SUNDAY SALON POST

Zibilee said...

Hey you! I am glad to see you back! I had been wondering where you were. I am glad to hear that you are now gainfully employed though, and I hope your new job is a good fit for you. I don't know of any YA classics other than Little Women or The Secret Garden. Have you read either of those?

debnance at readerbuzz said...

What a powerful metaphor! New to me, too. Nice.

Here's my Sunday Salon: Une Petite Visite à Paris. (And don't worry....it's in English. I just like to pretend to speak French.)

amanda said...

I was just thinking that it had been a while since you posted. Great news on the job!

I'm never really sure what the definition of "YA" is, but have you read any of the Anne of Green Gables books? I've read the first one more than just about any book... I just recently read Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, which is similar (although I like Anne better). I can't think of anything else at the moment. Enjoy whatever you pick!

Rebecca Reid said...

I've not been in the mood for Classics either, but I'm still trying to get through some. Enjoy your summer and congrats on the new job.

Andi said...

Glad to know that you're alive! I have yet to read anything by John Green, and that's a huge oversight on my part. I also have The Chocolate War on my stacks. I have an MA in literature with a specialty in childrens/adolescent lit, and I can't believe I still haven't read Chocolate War. Oy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...