Thursday, September 1, 2011

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VI


A lot of bloggers posted about the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VI challenge hosted by Carl this week, and I didn't even know what it was. (I'm always so behind on these blogging events) After a little investigating, I've decided to, excuse the cliche, jump on the bandwagon.

There are so many Perils to choose from, and I chose Peril the First. I get to read four books that fall under the following genres: mystery, suspense, thriller, dark fantasy, Gothic, horror, and supernatural. Here are the books I've chosen:
  1. The Monk by Matthew Lewis - I started reading this last night, before I even found out about the challenge. Something tells me R.I.P. VI, and I are meant to be.
  2. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James - I never knew Henry James wrote horror, and I've never ready anything by him. The Turn of the Screw sounds like a good place to start.
  3. The Strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson - I started reading this when I was twelve, but I soon gave up on it, thinking it was beyond boring. Me thinks it's time to give it another chance.
  4. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier - We meet again, DuMaurier. A friend of mine swears by this book. I, on the other hand, fell asleep while reading the first chapter. I'm not kidding. However, I'm not one to judge a book by its first chapter, so I decided to give Rebecca another chance.
What about you? Are you joining R.I.P. VI? If you are, what are you reading. :)

19 comments:

Trish said...

Great list! I'm doing this challenge for the first time too. I've read Rebecca and Dr. Jeckyll -both excellent- and Turn of The Screw is on my RIP list.

reviewsbylola said...

I hope you fall in love with Rebecca this time around. It is one of my favorite books ever!

Carl V. said...

So great to have you joining us, I'm glad you found out about it.

Rebecca is a book that I love as well and I hope you can get into it this time.

For more contemporary selections I would recommend giving Diane Setterfield's novel, The Thirteenth Tale, a try.

Amy said...

I LOVE The Monk! It is perfect for this challenge. I read it for a graduate school seminar on the origins of the novel and it was one of my favorite books from my college years. Northanger Abbey makes a fabulous companion read, by the way, if you haven't read it yet.

Laura--Kicking Pedagogical Ass said...

I loved Rebecca, and my six year-old's middle name is Maxim in homage. He's actually in the middle of listening to an unabridged audiobook of Dr. Jeckyl and loving it.

Elizabeth Bauman said...

Good list! Turn of the Screw still baffles me and I guess I'll have to read it again someday (think it would be at least the third time). I'll be curious to see what you think. As for Rebecca, keep reading past that first part. I remember the first part dragged for me a bit but it gets better. Much better. I second The Thirteenth Tale recommendation from Carl. So good!

Ellen said...

I've been seeing this challenge all over the place, and while I'm not usually a fan of challenges...I am so tempted to do this one. It seems like the perfect way to get into the mood for autumn. (How much do you want to bet that an hour from now I sign up? Just have to think about what books I might want to read!)

eclectic_reader said...

Don't worry, I haven't heard about this challenge as well.

deslily said...

you certainly picked the right type of books!! I will look forward to your reviews!

Zibilee said...

I hesitate joining challenges, because the odd that I will complete them are very slim, but this one sounds fun. I also love the books you've picked, and have really wanted to read James for a long time. I will be paying very close attention to all your reviews to see what you think. Good Luck!

Alice said...

Oh, nifty.

I started The Monk and basically called it The Best Book Ever because it is AMAZINGLY ridiculous, but I stopped about 20% of the way through (should I mention I was reading it on my Kindle?). Rebecca's pretty good, and Turn of the Screw is one of the most palatable things Henry James wrote, so WOO.

Kate said...

I agree with Alice on Henry James...Turn of the Screw is the only James I've been able to get through so far, but it was worth it!

Rebecca is also worth it! The voice is always a little archaic to me and I remember not caring much about the book until I got into it. But as a novel, it really pays off.

Good luck and happy reading!

Kailana said...

I loved Rebecca! I am thinking about rereading it this fall. :)

Chrisbookarama said...

I hope you give Rebecca another try. It is one of my favorites. DuMaurier is one of my favorite go-to authors for RIP. Her short stories are so creepy!

simplerpastimes said...

Great list! I need to read Turn of the Screw, I've been meaning to for ages. I'm probably going to join RIP also, as that seems to be the reading mode I'm in right now, so maybe this can be a choice for me too.

Amanda said...

YES!!! The Monk is AWESOME, and Jekyll & Hyde is one of my very favorite books. Rebecca is also fabulous, and I'll be reading Turn of the Screw too. :D

Brenna said...

I read The Turn of the Screw for the RIP challenge last year and enjoyed it a lot. I also love The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's y favorite Stevenson hands down. Glad to see you are participating!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Yay! I'm glad you're participating. I, for one, love Rebecca. I hope it works better for you the second time around. You definitely need to get into it a bit, but then it gets so good.

Beth said...

Ooo... I almost read Rebecca for this challenge. Might just try and do it! Excited to see your reviews as we go along.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...