Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Sunday Salon: Tackle the To-Be-Read Pile

The Sunday Salon.com

Last night, I read my first ever blog post for Your Move, Dickens. In the aforementioned blog post, I stated that I wanted to read classics that had been in my bookshelf for years (The Call of the Wild, McTeague, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, etc).


Well, guess what?

I've read a ton of awesome classics since I started this blog, but I still haven't read the seven books I mentioned in my first post. In fact, my TBR pile has just spiraled out of control. In an effort to take control of my book-buying addiction, I decided to start my Tackle the To-Be-Read Pile project. I've only set one rule for myself: I can't buy another book until I finish all the books in my TBR pile. I'm really cracking the whip this time.

Here are all the classics I intend to read for this project:
  1. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  2. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
  3. The Call of the Wild by Jack London
  4. Cheri by Colette
  5. Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
  6. Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty
  7. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
  8. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
  9. Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
  10. The Last of Cheri by Colette
  11. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
  12. Macbeth by William Shakespeare
  13. The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington
  14. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
  15. McTeague by Frank Norris
  16. The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers
  17. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
  18. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
  19. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
  20. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
  21. The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene
  22. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
  23. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
  24. Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym
  25. Sula by Toni Morrison
  26. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
  27. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  28. To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
  29. Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson
What about you? How's your TBR pile doing?

20 comments:

Anglers Rest said...

Good luck with your personal reading challenge of the list of books in addition to not buying another book until they are read. For me that would be the biggest challenge!

Sam said...

My TBR pile is more of a mountain since I started blogging!

Good luck with your personal challenge - Macbeth is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays and whilst I didn't exactly enjoy Heart of Darkness, it's a very interesting book to think about.

Debnance said...

It would never happen for me. I'd rather set a rule to give away any books I've been hoarding for more than two years.

My Sunday Salon is Quiet Before the Storm.

irisonbooks said...

My TBR pile is horrible, horrible. Oh, it is fun to look at, knowing I have so many great books waiting for me. But how will I ever get to them?

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I started one of my blogs (http://curlupandread.wordpress.com/) in 10/09 to tackle that very problem. I had 166 books on the stacks at that time...and now have 60. Not that much progress. In addition, I now have what I laughingly call the New TBR Stacks, which have 40-50 books. See the problem?

So I have made progress...but I've added some more. But overall, I have made a dent.

I wouldn't be able to stop buying books until I get through those stacks...I would feel rebellious and as if I were being punished. Yeah, that's how my mind works.

Good luck, though. And you have some awesome books on your stacks. I want to reread Rebecca...and a few others. For another lifetime, perhaps?

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
MY WEBSITE

Mandy said...

Good luck! Looks like you have a few of my favorites on that list!

Feel free to read my Salon post: Adventures in Borkdom

Have a great week!

reviewsbylola said...

I really want to read some Collette and Eudora Welty. I feel like my classics reading has greatly diminished, so I would like to fix that!

Allie said...

You have some excellent titles on your TBR list! I've read many of them, or will be, so I am excited to see your thoughts on them!

I have a lot of books left. If I were just to focus on all the books I own but haven't read yet, I would probably have enough to get me through 5 or more years. So yeah, I need to focus in on reading what I have as opposed to buying more!

Kailana said...

Good luck! I started out the year reading a lot of classics, but I sort of fizzled out as the year progressed. I am trying to do better! I actually brought all my classics to the second hand bookstore because I can read them on my e-reader. I just don't have a lot of room, so I figured it was the easiest way to make some.

When I set too strict of rules for my book buying, I tend to lose interest in what I actually own. I couldn't imagine not having at least one new book trickle in periodically. The last time I tried that was pretty much the most depressing year ever! The next year I rejoined the library and started periodically buying a book... I am not sure why I am like that.

simplerpastimes said...

Ha, my TBR pile has ballooned lately thanks to going-out-of-business sales.

It looks like you have a very nice selection to read through, and Rebecca and The Moonstone are both perfect R.I.P. options, too. Good luck and enjoy!

Emma said...

So many of these books I own but haven't read either, let us know which you are reading them, maybe I will muster up the motivation to read along with you.

I need to sit down and make some reading goals as well. I think I'm going to start by making reading lists of books I already have for each season.

You've inspired me to start planning :-)

Chrisbookarama said...

Even though I read a lot of classics, I've only read a few on your list. There are so many!

Erin said...

Oh my goodness, what a project! I'd cave. I have probably several hundred unread books in my house. It would take me several years to read them all! I do, however, plan to focus on reading my own books in the near future. I just read The Poisonwood Bible this year and LOVED it! Portrait of the Artist, on the other hand, is the book that made me declare James Joyce my literary nemesis. (Yes, I have a literary nemesis!)

I don't know what order you're going for, but I'm planning to read A Tale of Two Cities soon, kind of along with another blogger (really informal, just to have someone to discuss with). Let me know if you'd be interested in semi-coordinating!

Melissa said...

My TBR keeps growing. I have only read a few on your list.

Rebecca Reid said...

I have the same problem. I have books because I want to read them but then I check out other books from the library. I can feel your pain. I hope you project works out. You have great books on your list!

Charlie (The Worm Hole) said...

Oh wow, that's an ambitious plan! Mansfield Park is one I want to read soon. I haven't a clue about my TBR, I started to keep a list but then I received more books and I knew that it would make me feel like a failure if I added so many more to the list than I'd taken away. I reckon I'm getting through it though, slowly.

Brenna said...

Wow you certainly are cracking the whip! Good luck, I don't think I could manage not to buy a book until my TBR pile was read, but it's a great goal! Also, The Moonstone is one of my all-time favorite classics and would make a really good fall read.

Biblibio said...

Oh, my stacks recently got a lot bigger. But it was a well-planned binge which followed an eight-month book-buying ban. So I'm actually still feeling all right. As long I don't buy anything in the next few months and read from my backlog, everything will be fine.

I hope, at least...

Rachel said...

My TBR list seems to grow by the day. Between second hand bookshops, friends, the library, book sales and book blogs I don't think I will ever have a small list!

Rachel said...

My TBR list seems to grow by the day. Between second hand bookshops, friends, the library, book sales and book blogs I don't think I will ever have a small list!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...