Friday, September 16, 2011

Thoughts: A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

After witnessing a murder in Italy, Lucy Huneychurch faints, and is rescued by George Emerson. George and his father are considered outcasts at Pension Bertolini, the pension where Lucy is staying, for their radical views and ways. Lucy finds herself drawn to the Emersons, and, in the end, must make a choice to either conform or break away from convention for the sake of passion.

Let me just say that if George Emerson were a living, breathing person, I would probably want to date him. He’s like that loner guy in high school who reads deep books, and sits by himself in the cafeteria—the mysterious type we all wanted to get to know. I loved how he slowly “woke up” and really started to live, and I like to think that I could wake up too. I could be walking down the street, and something magical could happen to me, making me LIVE for the first time.

I also loved E.M. Forster’s subtle writing style. He had a light but firm grip on all the threads of the story, and the whole novel felt like a bundle of nuances tied together. He managed to get his point across through the characters without being heavy-handed. Ms. Bartlett, for instance, wanted a room WITHOUT a view, which was fitting because she was narrow-minded, snobbish, and probably represented everything Forster hated in society. Even the love story between George Emerson and Lucy Honeychurch was romantic without even bordering on cheesy.

I said before that I hate it when authors turn characters into mouthpieces for their opinions, but E.M. Forster has to be the single exception. Yes, the characters became mouthpieces for his opinions, but they had their own distinct voices. Does that make sense? I absolutely loved this novel, and I’m looking forward to reading more of E.M. Forster’s work.

Rating: 5/5

15 comments:

mel u said...

I love E. M. Forester also-I like best either Passage to India or Howard's End-both of these works can be found online as they are now in the public domain

Catherine said...

George Emerson's one of my favorite fictional characters too. I've read other books where there's a character who lives a nonconformist life, and rarely is it this convincing. Usually they're either too vulgar or quirky. Wish I could offer an example, but my recall is a bit fuzzy at the moment.

L.L. said...

This makes me really excited to read the book. I have a copy but hadn't planned on reading it anytime soon! But I'm a sucker for book crushes, especially if they are in those deeper books. Because, you know, that makes the book crush that much more meaningful.

Abby said...

One of my favorites, too! Great review.

Sam said...

I had the biggest crush on a guy like that in secondary school, so I think I would enjoy this book :)

Audra said...

Lovely review -- you have me itching to dig through my book shelves and pull this one out!

simplerpastimes said...

I know I've seen a TV adaption of this, but I don't remember it at all! You make it sound so lovely (with bonus points for being set in Italy), so I think I'll have to read it sooner rather than later.

Allie said...

I'm glad you loved this one! It was the third book I read for my project (it followed Crime and Punishment of all titles), and I just LOVED it-especially the mother. She cracked me up. :)

But I also loved the message and play on words throughout the novel. Definitely a great title.

Rebecca Reid said...

This sounds wonderful! I haven't read Foster at all yet, sounds like I'm missing out.

Erin said...

I've read a couple of other Forster novels, but never this one. I didn't love Howards End but enjoyed both A Passage to India and The Hill of Devi, so I'm totally up for trying another. I'm glad to hear your experience with A Room with a View.

Shelley said...

I have loved everything I've read by Forster, and I can't believe I haven't read this one yet. I've got the movie in my Netflix queue, but I keep waiting to watch it until I read the book.

Elizabeth Bauman said...

This is a favorite book and movie of mine. So glad you liked it!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I love this one too. Howards End remains my favorite of his novels though, so definitely check it out some time. His style just can't be beat.

Emma said...

I read this entire review in the following manor: The book title is sort of ringing in the back of my mind...where have I heard it before?

I completely forgot that it isn't the book title that I know, but the author. I had no idea who he is, but I have one of his books in the bottom of one of my book boxes somewhere. I think it's called The Longest Journey, but it could be something else...It definitely is something about a Journey...haha.

I found it at a thrift store for basically free. That's why I got it. I didn't even know his books were popular, or classic or anything. I should have looked him up!

Ah well, thanks to you, I now know, and may have to go digging in my boxes at some point. Sweet.

By the way, do you have a favorite Austen? I've never read any. I have Emma...and I keep meaning to read it...

:-)

Vintage Reading said...

I loved this novel when I read it last year. Didn't think I would because I was forced to read him at school. Enjoyed your review.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...