Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Thoughts: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

"If he be Mr. Hyde, I shall be Mr. Seek." - Robert Louis Stevenson

While reading, I kept wishing over and over that I read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when it first came out in 1886. We all know that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are the same person, but the mystery was revealed so magnificently in the book that I regretted knowing. I couldn’t help but imagine what my reading experience would've been like IF I DIDN’T KNOW Dr. Jekyll’s secret. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t figure out the puzzle.

Aside from being completely entertaining, this book was also very, very meaty. The book revolves around the idea that we all have two sides. No human being is completely good or completely evil. We all have facets and thoughts we would be ashamed to show to other people, and there are things we only do when we’re out in public. It’s human nature, and Robert Louis Stevenson managed to turn that idea into a riveting story.

I loved, loved, loved this. Go read it right now.

Rating: 5/5

P.S.: Really short review, right?

P.P.S.: This is the second book I completed for RIP Challenge VI.

17 comments:

Trish said...

This is a fantastic book, isn't it?! You are so right, it would have been amazing to read it without knowing how it ends.

celawerdblog said...

I took a gothic Victorian British Literature class in college and we read this this. Although this was not my favorite book that we read, I still really liked it. I am glad you did too.

mooderino said...

This is one of the books that are so famous you feel like you're already read it. Must try to get round to actually reading it at soem point.

mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino

Brenna said...

I adore this one as well. It was required reading for one of my university English classes and I remember staying up late, finishing it in one night.

Zibilee said...

I haven't read this one yet, but it does indeed sound delicious. I like the idea that it explores the nuances of people's personalities and that it does that with such style. Great review! You have inspired me to go read this one!

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

I always wish that I could have read Dracula before vampires were everywhere. Because I'm sure it would have been more scary!

I haven't read this one yet, it sounds like I really need to!

Allie said...

I just started this one last night (only got through the first chapter before I passed out), so I only skimmed your review. :) But I am glad to see that you loved it! Maybe I will finish it tonight!

Amanda said...

YES YES YES!! I love this book so much, the tone is wonderful and I love that it still has meaning while being a shilling shocker. I had the same thoughts as you about wishing I could have read it unspoiled.

Mel said...

I have been meaning to read this for ages. Everyone I know who has read it, loved it.

Kristi said...

I love not knowing anything about books when I begin them, but some books like this are so hard to avoid the big twist since it's become so well known in pop culture.

I have this one on my iPad. Sounds like a good October read! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

Rachel said...

Oh this book sounds awesome. I've just put in on my reading list!

Jillian said...

You've convinced me! (You're good at that.) :-)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I loved this one too. I often wish I could read old classics without knowing the major plot points before hand. I think the twists would be so much more powerful! Still a fantastic book though.

Rebecca Reid said...

I read this so long ago I didn't even remember that I was supposed to think they were separate. How interesting. I definitely need to reread it.

simplerpastimes said...

I really need to read this. After reading your review, I wish I didn't know what the story was about already, alas. The problem with books that have permeated popular culture so!

Erin said...

I listened to this one last year. (It makes a great audiobook!) I totally agree that it would have been amazing to read without knowing where it ended up. Still good, but I wish I could have experienced it without knowing!

Kailana said...

I have always sort of avoided this book because I have heard the story so many times before. I should probably still read it... I said the same about Dracula and I am reading it right now and enjoying it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...