Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Latest Acquisitions: Part Seven

Remember my post about my Tackle the To-Be-Read Pile Project? In the aforementioned post, I boldly stated that I wouldn't buy any books until I finished the ones in my TBR pile.

Well, less than a month later, I've cracked, but this is my final relapse. I promise. Anyway, here are my latest acquisitions in no particular order:

  • Dubliners by James Joyce - A collection of short stories by the man who never fails to make my head hurt. I'm reading one to two stories everyday, and, so far, this book is the most readable thing by Joyce I've ever encountered.
  • The Jungle by Upton Sinclair - I have no idea what this one is about, aside from the fact that there's meat. Lots of meat.
  • The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - Recently finished this one. You can expect a review soon.
  • Beloved by Toni Morrison - I still haven't decided if I'm going to read Beloved or Sula first. I don't want to dive right into Morrison's most popular work without a bit of preparation.
  • Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - I read ten chapters from this book everyday, and I hope to finish it before the end of the year. This is the only book I have an excuse for. I've been looking for a copy for over a year, and, when I finally found one at my favorite secondhand bookstore, I simply couldn't let it go.
What about you? What are your latest acquisitions?

13 comments:

Zibilee said...

You've got a lot of great things in that stack there! I am going to be very curious about what you think of The Jungle. I have heard tales about the meat. My newest purchase was a copy of Ready Player One, which everyone is loving, it seems!

Red said...

You have some good but challenging reads there! I'd say it might be a good idea to read some other Morrison before jumping right into Beloved, so you get a feel for her style. The Bluest Eye is a good place to start with her too

Trish said...

What a fabulous haul! I have some of those books and others I'm still waiting to find. This week I came home with Born Standing Up by Steve Martin and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Ben said...

Get another book by Morrison first. Maybe The Bluest Eyes, it's the most recommended. Beloved is somewhat of a kick in the gonads to start with. That said, you're brave. Those are intimidating tomes.

Roisin said...

Stop everything and read Dubliners now. That is all.

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

Did you enjoy The Bell Jar? I loved it, I've read it a few times now.

And Anna Karenina is amazing in an epic way. I read it in a few weeks, I did plan to space it out a bit but I got too caught up in the story and couldn't put it down!

Brenna said...

That is an ambitious haul. I agree with Ben, I would read The Bluest Eye before Beloved.

Biblibio said...

It's a very respectable stack, I think, enough to forgive the lapse... The Bell Jar is wonderful, by the way - not exactly cheerful, but very good and worth reading. As for the rest, I must commend your ambition! I try to space out my classics over longer periods of time, otherwise I get too bogged down. Enjoy the haul!

reviewsbylola said...

I am looking forward to your review of The Bell Jar. I love that book!

CHE said...

I've had The Dubliners sitting on my shelf, unread, for over a year now. I just haven't had the patience for James Joyce lately. Maybe I'll take a deep breath and plunge in now since you suggest that it isn't as headache-inducing as some of his other works.

mel u said...

Great Selections-I have read two of them-the Dubliners-(parts of it anyway) in March-why not post on one of the stories next year for Irish Short Stories Week Year Two (March 2012)-I read Anna Karenina a long time ago-the Greta Garbo version of the movie has been on sky cable recently-really beautiful movie-once you see it Anna will always be Greta!

Erin said...

I just went used book shopping this morning! All the books I picked up are ones I already wanted to read, so I feel better about adding them to my collection. :-)

Rachel said...

Oh well no need to deprive yourself! Very jealous you've got your hands on Anna Karenina. That one is on my list!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...