Friday, October 7, 2011

Literary Blog Hop: Dinner with the Greats

Literary Blog Hop

The Literary Blog Hop is hosted by the ladies of The Blue Bookcase, and is open to blogs that primarily feature book reviews of literary fiction, classic literature, and general literary discussion.

This week's question comes from Mel u over at The Reading Life:

When I was in my early teens I read a book called Van Loon's Lives by Hendrick Willlem Van Loon. It was written in 1942 (Van Loon was a Newberry Winner for another work). I was maybe ten or so when I first read it and I was totally fascinated. The story line is that Von Loon and his good friend found a magic way to invite three famous literary figures from different eras for a Sunday Dinner. The book gives mini bios of the guests, explains the food the would have wanted and shows their dinner conversations. If you could invite any three literary figures from different eras to a Sunday Dinner who would they be? Magic takes care of the language issues.

First off, I just want to thank Mel for coming up with this question.

The first person who popped into my head was Jane Austen. I'm sure her sarcastic wit will liven up even the dreariest of dinners. There also other reasons why I want to invite her... For starters, I want to find out how she could have possibly come up with a fictional character like Mr. Darcy. She probably won't tell me, but I want to ask her why she never got married. Was it a personal choice or was it a case of unrequited love?

F. Scott Fitzgerald is the next person in my list. I love, love, love, love, love The Great Gatsby. That's already reason enough, but Fitzgerald actually seems fascinating, not to mention charming.

J.K. Rowling finishes this list. How can I not include the woman who brightened up my childhood? For more information on my obsession with Harry Potter, you can read this post. Aside from that, I can't wait to find out what she's working on at the moment. I don't care if it's a treatise on the diet of elephants. I would still be interested.

And that, my friends, are the three literary figures I would love to invite to Sunday Dinner. What about you? Who are the three literary figures you'd love to have dinner with?

10 comments:

mel u said...

I am glad you enjoyed my question. I like your selections a lot-have you thought about what foods you might serve your guests? Would you let them try Pinoy food?

celawerdblog said...

Three great people. I don't know if I would include JK Rowling with the other two just yet, but time will tell.

Becky (Page Turners) said...

ah! JK Rowling, what a great addition. That made me think of JRR Tolkien, I think I want to add to my list now!

Alice said...

Oh damn, JKR! Absolutely! Now I feel like an idiot not for thinking of her. Because she not only wrote one of the best children's series of ever, but she seems like a genuinely nice, grounded, awesome person.

Risa said...

I wonder what J K Rowling and Enid Blyton would've had to say to each other if they ever met. Throw in Lewis Carroll, and that might me a firework of fantasy!!:D

My three guests were finally picked out from various lists I made up first.

simplerpastimes said...

I like your selections! I don't know if I could manage to pick just 3 if I were answering this question, although the first the pops into my head right now is John Steinbeck.

Zibilee said...

I love this question! I would have to go with your choice of Austen, Ian McEwan and Lionel Shriver. I bet the dinner conversation would be very witty and also a little scandalous!

CHE said...

I think the conversation between Austen and Fitzgerald would be fascinating. Great selections and really nice blog. I'm a new follower.

Adam said...

Fitzgerald would be interesting (he was a party animal!). J.K. Rowling made my illegal second list. Lol

Darlyn (Your Move, Dickens) said...

@mel u: The thought giving Jane Austen "balot" just cracked me up, but I'm going to take it easy on her because she's my favorite author.

@celawerdblog: Time will tell indeed. My fingers are crossed.

@Becky: Me too! I keep thinking about new people to add to this list, but it's too late... :)

@Alice: I would love to get to know the woman who created Harry Potter, and I completely agree with you. She seems so down-to-earth.

@Risa: LOL. That sounds like quite an interesting party. Haven't read anything by Enid Blyton yet. Must remedy that soon.

@simplerpastimes: Argh. How could I have forgotten Steinbeck? I absolutely loved Of Mice and Men.

@Zibilee: I've never read anything by Lionel Shriver, but Ian McEwan would probably intimidate me too much. Great picks.

@CHE: Thanks for stopping by! And, yes, I keep wondering what they would say to each other. They're both so witty.

@Adam: I was tempted to make a 2nd list as well. You picked three great authors.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...