Thursday, October 13, 2011

One Less Lonely Reader

First of all, I apologize for punning (is that even a word?) the title of a Justin Bieber song. It is immature, I know, and you probably cringed.

But I digress. While jumping from one blog to another earlier today, I found a couple of events that I thought the brilliant, amazing, awesome, uber-cool people who visit this blog might be interested in.

Usually, reading is a solitary experience, but we bloggers have found ways to make it less so. I think the following events and one soon-to-be regular feature will show you exactly what I mean when book blogging makes reading a less lonely experience.


Allie from A Literary Odyssey will be hosting a Heart of Darkness readalong this November. I previously participated in her readalong for Oliver Twist, and it was a lot of fun. We all interpreted the book differently, so I always looked forward to what the other bloggers had to say. You can sign up here.


Rebecca will also be hosting the Gothic Literature Tour this October. I can tell the entire book blogging community is quite excited for this. From October 17-31, we’re going to talk about books filled with haunted castles, Bleeding Nuns, monsters, vampires (non-sparkly ones, I promise!), and so much more. Unfortunately, it’s too late to sign up, but you can check out the complete list of participants here.

The last thing I’m going to highlight isn’t exactly an event, but I believe it’s going to be a regular feature on Ben’s blog, Dead End Follies. It’s called The Dead End Follies Book Club, and, every month, Ben is going to recommend six books for all kinds of readers. This month’s recommendations include In Cold Blood (I now want to buy this because of Ben’s recommendation). If you want to see his other recommendations, you can click here.

So, did I miss an event for October or November? What are your favorite blog features?

Note: I don't know if you've noticed, but I've updated my blog's theme. I love The Great Gatsby, so I thought I should go with a 20s inspired banner. If you're having difficulty reading anything because of a too dark or too bright font, please let me know.

7 comments:

Alice said...

This!: http://reading-rambo.blogspot.com/2011/09/new-idea-and-oh-it-shall-be-fun.html

Ben said...

I am very happy to see you give a shot to Heart Of Darkness. It is an amazing (and very short) novel, who's at the heart of many things I love in art.

Thanks for the link also. I have read IN COLD BLOOD in a single sitting while traveling from Argentina to Canada. I literally couldn't get my eyes off it.

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

I really like your new blog look! And I guess I'm really out of touch with certain sectors of pop culture because I did not get your Bieber reference. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Zibilee said...

I love the new look, Darlyn! I also love that you consolidated a few events here that I am really excited about! Thanks!

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

I know I'm on my own with this, but I HATED Heart of Darkness. Talk about overuse of a metaphor. But I'm in the minority, so I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Enjoy all the events :)

Brenna said...

I really like the new header! Looks fantastic, Darlyn.

Erin said...

I read Heart of Darkness in high school and am not sure yet if I'm ready to revisit it. We'll see! Your blog looks great, no visibility problems here. I'm happy to know the significance behind the change :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...