Saturday, November 26, 2011

Latest Acquisitions: Part Eight/In Which I Break My Book Buying Ban Again


See, when I said that I wouldn't buy any more books until I finished all the books in my TBR pile, I was just pretending to be a fully-functional adult with a modicum of self-control.

I cracked.

Again.

It was payday and I was just browsing around my favorite secondhand bookstore, and... and... You know how these things go.

Here are my latest acquisitions:
  • My Antonia by Willa Cather - Sounds very boring, but I have a feeling I'm going to eat my words once again.
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding - Have been hankering after a copy of this book for ages, but refused to buy a new copy because it was too expensive for such a thin book.
  • I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou - Have no idea what this one is about.
  • Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt - Children's classic I've heard so many great things about. Just kidding. I saw the movie trailer starring Rory Gilmore a couple of years ago. I know the actress has a real name and Rory Gilmore is just a fictional character, but Alexis Bledel will ALWAYS BE RORY GILMORE. 'Nough said.
  • The Day of the Locust by Nathanael West - About Hollywood in the 30s? 40s? I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore.
  • Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe - Said to be a very influential book during the American Civil War. Must read up on American History before diving into this one.
  • Billy Budd and Other Stories by Herman Melville - Gah. I haven't even started Moby Dick yet.
  • Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie - My second Agatha Christie. Hope to start this after I finish Dubliners by James Joyce to cleanse my palate.
  • The Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkien - How can I not buy this?!? It was a brand-new copy for only two bucks.
I'm currently plodding through Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and Dubliners a.k.a Will I ever finish this short story collection? by James Joyce. In a previous post, I said that Dubliners is the most readable thing by Joyce I've ever encountered. That's still true, but readable thing by Joyce still = NOT EASY TO FINISH. Blast it all.

14 comments:

Trish said...

Self control? In a used book store?

Caged Bird Sings is a lovely book. It's one of those books that's stayed with me for years. That's funny that you're in the middle of Dubliners! I'm just reading that one, too. But, yeah, James Joyce . . . I don't know if I'll get to his other works any time soon. Ullyses? Ack!

Kristi said...

Nice finds! My mom just told me last week to read My Antonia because she really liked it. I also have Lord of the Flies and I'm going to read it next year for Roof Beam Readers TBR challenge. Good luck!

Zibilee said...

I love the books you picked out! There are some in that stack that I only know by name, and it will be interesting to read your reflections on them and see what you think.

I know what you mean about book buying bans. It always seems like the perfect thing to do, and then you walk into a book shop or half price store, and all god intentions go out the window!

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

What an interesting array of books you've selected! Funny about Dubliners--it's the only Joyce I have ever finished and I agree with you.

Even when you work in a bookstore like I do, it's impossible to abide by self-imposed book buying bans. I tell myself, I can just ask a sales rep for it, no need to buy it. And the next thing I know I'm writing over a goodly portion of my paycheck for store goods.

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

P. S. Is that an unjacketed copy of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince in the photo at the top of your blog? I can't tell what the upper book is.

Christa @ Hooked on Books said...

Great haul!
I've always wanted to read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Reading Rambo said...

Ooh, I liked My Antonia. It's what made me not-hate Cather.

Also, Uncle Tom's Cabin is TOTAL propaganda, but it's useful because it was so influential in stirring up anti-South feelings and, y'know, helping the Union feel even more justified about the war.

Laura said...

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is SO amazing- not the easiest subject matter at times (there's some child abuse in there, but it's so much more than that) but still so so good.

I tried to read Uncle Tom's Cabin once and failed horribly- but I am laaaazy, so I'm sure you'll do better!

mooderino said...

As addictions go, yours is one of the better ones. One day you will be Queen of the book junkies.

mood

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

We should all just face the fact that we have no self control when it comes to books!

I very much enjoyed My Antonia and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings is supposed to be amazing.

Happy reading :)

Aarti said...

Good work! I just went on a book-buying binge at BookCloseouts.com for their SUPER sale and got 10 books for $35! I think that's a pretty good deal, even if I don't know where to put them...

simplerpastimes said...

I know how it is with book-buying self-control--I stepped into the new bookstore a couple weeks ago just to "check it out" and left with four books and a magazine. Despite my self-imposed book buying ban! You have a lot of good books though. I've read quite a few of them, and want to read a couple of the others.

reviewsbylola said...

You may have broken your ban but at least it was for some really great books!

Kailana said...

What a great haul of books! I am very tempted by the sale at BookCloseOuts at the moment, so I might have a splurge...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...