Monday, December 12, 2011

2012 Reading Plans


2011 has been a great year in terms of reading and blogging. I made a lot of new friends in the blogging community, and read a ton of books that blew me away. Hopefully, 2012 will be a better reading/blogging year, and I hope to get a little headstart by listing down my reading plans.

First of all, I want to reread a ton of old favorites. There are so many books I claim as favorites, but I can hardly remember what they're about or why I liked them so much in the first place. Here are some old favorites I'd like to reread in 2012:
  • The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - I actually want to reread the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, but it took me four years to finish all three books. I'm starting small by rereading The Hobbit.
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - Every time a forum or a social networking site asks me about books, I always end up talking about this book. The truth is, I haven't reread it in years. Kind of makes me feel like a phony.
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - I raved about this book in the first quarter of 2011, and promptly forgot about it. I just want to remind myself why I loved it so much, and, also, the 3D movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio is coming out next year. Soooooo excited.
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - This book made me sob like Simba after Mufasa died. Must revisit.
  • All seven Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling - Do I even need to explain this one? My blog will not be complete without reviews of all seven Harry Potter books.
  • Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and Persuasion by Jane Austen - I first read these books before I discovered secondhand bookstores and Project Gutenberg, and I reread them about five times each. It's sad to think that I don't remember them much anymore.
This year, I mentioned in a blog post that I wanted to read at least 25 books from the Modern Library's Top 100 Novels of all time. If I include To the Lighthouse which I haven't finished yet, I've only read fourteen. Tsk. Tsk. I hope to read more books from the list next year. Yes, I think the list is a bit elitist, but I want to figure out why those books made it into the top 100 while so many others didn't. Here are some Modern Library books I intend to read next year:
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice by James Cain
  • Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
  • The Day of the Locust by Nathanael West
  • Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
And, of course, the books from my seemingly neverending TBR pile need to be tackled. I also intend to read more books by authors who are still, you know, alive.

15 comments:

Trisha said...

I keep thinking about my goals for the new year. I have too many and need to narrow down to actual, doable goals. Great goals here! I love the idea of re-reading some old favorites.

bookrhapsody said...

I recently finished Invisible Man (since we have a similar goal of reading those books listed by Modern Library as its Top 100). It's not a very exciting read, but it's not bad. And as for Portrait of the Artist, argh, it's my second worst read for 2011. :D

mooderino said...

Great Gatsby in 3D? If only you were joking...

Ben said...

I really wonder what EXACTLY will be in 3D about Gatsby. It's about as devoid of car chases and explosions as it gets.

Zibilee said...

Your list is excellent, and I have read quite a handful of those titles, so I just KNOW you are going to have a great reading year coming up. I can't wait to read your thoughts!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I love your re-reading goal. That's a big one for me next year too. Blogging has made me realize that I don't remember the details of many of my favorite books. I just re-read The Book Thief, Pride and Prejudice and all 7 HP books this year and I loved it! It was such a great reminder of why those books mean so much to me. I've read all the books you listed as favorites and I love them all. I plan on re-reading Sense and Sensibility and possibly To Kill a Mockingbird next year. I may have to add The Hobbit too.

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

Re-reading is a good goal, and something I want to work on as well next year. Especially my teenage favourites - The Bell Jar and Lord of the Rings are definitely due a reread.

Kate said...

Great list. It's been years since I read "The Hobbit". Love "The Great Gatsby" and "To Kill a Mockingbird". Would love to read "The Book Thief" in 2012!

Meg said...

I'm reading The Book Thief next year. I'm really looking forward to crying like an orphaned lion cub. ;)

Christa @ Hooked on Books said...

These are some great goals! I really want to make some more time for re-reading this year and I love the idea of rereading Harry Potter! I was thinking about trying it in audio form.

I also totally think you should read Lord of the Flies and the Invisible Man. Love those books!

Charlie (The Worm Hole) said...

Love the last point, reading authors who are still alive! It can be so easy to get into classics that you forget the book world is still moving. I'm in agreement entirely on your HP reviews - it does feel odd when some books in a series have been reviewed and not others.

Teacher/Learner said...

Those are some great choices! I read and loved Sense & Sensibility, To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride & Prejudice, and the HP series this year. Enjoy :)

Kailana said...

Good luck with your reading plans!

simplerpastimes said...

I think my goals are mostly "read more" but I also want to reread The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Especially with the Hobbit movie coming out next year!

It sounds like you have a good list--I hope you enjoy all your rereads/new reads.

simplerpastimes said...

I think my goals are mostly "read more" but I also want to reread The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Especially with the Hobbit movie coming out next year!

It sounds like you have a good list--I hope you enjoy all your rereads/new reads.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...