Friday, December 16, 2011

Latest Acquisitions: The Christmas Edition

Every time I walk into a bookstore, I just go crazy. I can almost hear this voice-over in my head saying, "We are now observing the species of Dorkuslosaurus in her natural habitat..." Yes, I am weird that way. (If you're wondering about my book-buying ban, phsaw! What book-buying ban are you talking about?!?! I am not guilty!)

Anyway, here are the books from my last haul (hopefully) for the year:

  • Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald - So excited for this one. Some bloggers have said that this book is better than The Great Gatsby, and I cannot even imagine how that is possible.
  • 1984 by George Orwell - This book has a very interesting first sentence. Check it out.
  • Silas Marner by George Eliot - I started reading this a couple of days ago, and I'm saving all my thoughts for a future post.
  • Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand - Cyrano was an actual person. Huh. I never knew that.
  • Naked Lunch by William Burroughs - Lots of sex and syringes and drugs and hallucinations and other things.
  • Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf - Judging by the summary alone, this book sounds incredibly boring. I'm hoping Virginia Woolf will change my mind.
  • One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn - Does anybody know how to pronounce Solzhenitsyn?!?!?!
The following books aren't classics (yet, I think), but they coincide with my 2012 goal to read more books by authors who are still walking the face of the earth:

  • The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte - This book is like a mystery novel specially made for classic lovers. Dig this: The protagonist is a "detective" who hunts down rare editions for wealthy clients, and, somehow, he comes across the ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPT of The Three Musketeers.
  • The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster - Can you spell intimidating?
  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel - A tiger. A boy. An ocean. I'm not sure what to think or expect about this one.
And those are my latest acquisitions. What books have you bought lately?

18 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I loved The Life of Pi; hope you do as well. Great new books to add to your collection.

Trish said...

Good books, all. I have some of these already on my TBR shelf for the new year; others I'm waiting to see what kind of reviews you give them, especially Club Dumas. And I totally understand your bookstore affliction. lol

Nymeth said...

I do hope Virginia Woolf changes your mind! I loved Mrs Dalloway. I much preferred Gatsby to Tender is the Night, but to each their own of course. Enjoy your new books!

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

That a very impressive list. I feel a little ashamed that of both stacks of books, I've only read Life of Pi (which I loved). Tried reading the Perez-Reverte but it wasn't a good fit for me at the time (maybe 10 years ago).

Eclectic Indulgence said...

I would avoid "The Club Dumas" like the plague - horrible, horrible book. There was only one part that I thought was pretty awesome, but only because I'm a lover of books. It didn't make up for the rest of the novel, which is very dark and satanic.

The Life of Pi, despite being a concept stolen from another author, was a good read. 1984 is beyond phenominal.

Looks like you have plenty to get to over the holidays!

Ben said...

Comparing Tender and Gatsby is difficult because it's very different. While Gatsby is technically tighter, Tender goes a lot deeper into depression and existential malaise and has a lot more of those passages that make Fitzgerald awesome.

As for The New York Trilogy, don't be intimidated. It's actually a lot of fun to read.

Zibilee said...

Oh, if you haven't seen the movie based on Naked Lunch, I would surely recommend it! It's one of my very favorite movies of all time. Lots of great thins in that new haul! Enjoy them all!

o said...

Mrs. Dalloway is one of my favorite Woolf novels! She first appears in The Voyage Out, and there's also a short story called Mrs Dalloway in Bond Street (I think that one opens with "Mrs Dalloway said she'd buy the GLOVES herself" (my caps).

mooderino said...

Another nice haul. I don't think the publishing industry will ever die with you out there. Looking forward to the reviews.

mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino
The Funnily Enough

Allie said...

Great choices!

I love Mrs. Dalloway-you just have to let it kind of...wash over you. Don't think about it too hard or it'll frustrate you.

I haven't read 1984 in ages...it is on my list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Abby said...

Great books! Mrs. Dalloway is one of my all-time favorites. I disagree with Allie--DO think about it hard, but don't concern yourself with a linear plot.

Also: SOLZ-hen-neet-SIN.

Vintage Reading said...

Tender is the Night is a wonderful book. I mean to re-read it soon. Good haul!

simplerpastimes said...

Out of all the books you've bought, the only one I've read is The Club Dumas, which I really liked.

I haven't bought any books myself lately, although I might pick up a couple before the end of the year...

Laura said...

The New York Trilogy is one of my favourite books! Don't be scared by it, just go with it :). Also, 1984 has some more very interesting sentences, the more you read of it. Basically, you've bought some awesome books!

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

But you always buy good books, so it's OK :)

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch is a very good book and it was my entry into reading older Russian literature.

Megs said...

I almost bought The Life of Pi during my last bookstore raid, but I ended up putting it back because my husband was looking at me with my armful of books and judging.

I haven't read Silas Marner yet, but I have this gorgeous 1946 copy I bought in New Zealand. I'm saving it for a special occasion. ;)

bibliophilica said...

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about Silas Marner. It was one of the first books my first book club read long ago. So much of it has stuck with me over the years, though, which - with my imperfect memory - is really saying something.

-Jay

Caro said...

I actually sat upright when I read what The Club Dumas is about. Definitely going into my TBR list.
Oh, and book bans? Nothing good ever comes from them (minus, you know, more money). Proven fact- by a guilty me every time I cave and buy yet another book. Sigh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...