Friday, December 2, 2011

Literary Blog Hop: Recommended Reading for Non-Literature Lovers

Literary Blog Hop

For those of you who are new to my blog, welcome! Stay, have a virtual cup of tea or coffee, and please leave a comment if you're so inclined. Around these parts, we usually talk about classics.

The Literary Blog Hop is a monthly blog hop open to blogs that primarily feature book reviews of literary fiction, classic literature, and general literary discussion. This week's question is:

What work of literature would you recommend to someone who doesn't like literature?

Every time a friend asks me to lend them a book, I always want to take them by the shoulders and say, “Yes! Once you get hooked on a book, you’ll just want more.” Then, I begin staring at my bookshelves, wondering what I’m going to recommend. For some reason, I end up thinking that this person’s reading life might depend on me. I might suggest a book he or she will hate, and, therefore, turn him or her off books for life. Yes, I know. I’m weird that way.

Recommending a book to someone interested in literature is already difficult enough, but recommending a book to someone who—oh, god, I can barely type this—DOESN’T LIKE LITERATURE? Difficult doesn’t even begin to cover it.

The first book I would probably suggest is The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano. I first heard about this book when Sasha reviewed it on her blog. The book’s basic premise is that people can sometimes be like twin prime numbers. Twin primes are “pairs of prime numbers that are close to each other, almost neighbors, but between them there is always an even number that prevents them from truly touching.” In real life, that even number can be our issues or hang ups, stopping us from truly connecting with each other.

The Solitude of Prime Number is beautiful and sad, easy and difficult to read at the same time—easy because it’s told in pure, simple language and difficult because it’s surely going to break your heart. It’s the type of book you’re going to think about long after you’ve read it. Every time I see someone reading a Twilight book, I just want to grab it out of their hands and shove this book in their faces, saying, “You want a heartbreaking novel? A love story for the ages that’s more than just a love story? Read this!!!!”

In a nutshell, books like The Solitude of Prime Numbers give me hope—that good books will still be created long after I’m gone, that people will always keep reading because books as amazing as The Solitude of Prime Numbers will always be around.

What about you? What book will you suggest to non-literature lovers?

10 comments:

Jillian said...

Isn't that crazy to think? That people will be writing literature after we're gone? Great literature, and we'll never know it. The works written after Shakespeare? He never knew. That's crazy!

Charlie Cornflakes said...

First I would like to say , I'm sold on the Solitude of Prime Numbers ; it's going in my TBR pile .

I think this is the safest route to go in this particular situation. Giving a book to a non-reader is an easy task but getting them to actually read it ( and pay attention ) , well that's not so easy. A story that is beautiful , sad , easy and difficult ; well that sounds alot like life and should interest anyone that's human.

What book would I recommend to a non-literature lover : Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck.

Red said...

I have to second Charlie and say that I'm now adding this book to my TBR pile.

There is a lot of pressure when recommending a book (what if they hate it?) but it's still fun to share what you love. And hopefully you get them something they end up loving too

Christine-Chioma said...

Oh now I really want to read that book. Also because it has a cute cover...

Parrish Lantern said...

Not read but have heard of it & you make it sound wonderful.

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

I like that you went with a modern book instead of an established classic! I have a coworker who loved this book, so it's been on my radar for a while. Now that I have a second recommendation from you it will probably end up in my TBR pile.

Zibilee said...

Your comments and enthusiasm for this book make me want to add it to my list right away! It seems to be making a resurgence among the blogs in the past few weeks, and now I can see why! I would love to read this one, and am going to see about grabbing a copy soon!

mel u said...

I have seen The Solitude of Prime Numbers in book stores in Manila-your excellent post has now interested me in reading it.

LBC said...

I want to read Solitude of Prime Numbers. I know what you mean about recommending. I too find it a little high pressure.

Svenja said...

I would (and did already) recommend "the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime" by M Haddon. For some reasons: First it is a quick and easy read (by language as well as by length - non lit lovers are just scared by a book which is think more than a centimeter) and provides a good feeling and does not require a lot of interpretation. So far, I only received positive feedback and - got asked - do you have another one? That is the seriously difficult part, I find. What would your second recommendation be?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...