Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Shakespeare Reading Month


Allie from A Literary Odyssey is hosting the super-fabulous Shakespeare Reading Month this January, where bloggers from all over the world will read/read about Shakespeare. Basically, you can expect a ton of posts on Shakespeare and his works next month, so you can gird your loins. You can sign up until Dec. 31, 2011 right here.

I originally intended to read at least four Shakespeare plays this year, but I only managed to finish two--namely Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing. I have no idea why I didn't read more, because I enjoyed the plays immensely. 2012 sounds like a great year to add more Shakespeare to my reading diet.

This January, I intend to read the following plays:
  • Macbeth - This play has been in my TBR pile for nearly a year now, and I haven't touched it all. It looks depressing beyond belief, but I am going to be an adult about this.
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream - I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't know who Oberon is.
  • The Taming of the Shrew - One of my favorite movies of all time (Ten Things I Hate About You starring the late Heath ledger and Julia Stiles) was based on this play, and that's reason enough for me to want to read it.
P.S: If you don't like Ten Things I Hate About You, we can't be friends. Just kidding. Well, not really. A young pre-Inception Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Heath Ledger singing Can't Takes My Eyes Off You? How can you not like this movie? LOL.

Are you reading any Shakespeare this 2012? Also, all Shakespeare recommendations are welcome.

11 comments:

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

I love Macbeth and Midsummer Nights Dream, both of which I studied at school. I'm sure you will enjoy them too.

I'd also recommend The Tempest. Prsopero is the ultimate crazy puppet master magician.

Kailana said...

I am actually participating in a challenge to read a Shakespeare play every month. I probably won't participate every month, but I am hoping to read some of them. The last time I read Shakespeare was high school. I don't even think I read anything by him in university. So, it's been a while.

Laura said...

Macbeth is so awesome, I love A Midsummer Night's Dream (I was Hermia when I was like 10, and its still something I bring up all the time, clearly!) and 10 Things I Hate About You is the BEST THING EVER!! So, basically, I approve of your choices :). I'm taking part in Shakespeare Reading Month too, but I'm not sure what I'm going to read yet... I just know that I'm definitely going to watch 10 Things! (ps Julia Stiles in that movie is basically my role model!)

Nymeth said...

I LOVE Ten Things I Hate About You too :D I've watched it more times than I can count. And I agree with Laura about Julia Stiles - so awesome and adorable. But I've been a little scared to read the original play, as I know the feminist subversion of the movie will very much not be there... plus there are other Shakespeare plays I need to get to first, like Macbeth.

Red said...

Yes 10 Things! How could someone not love it? Although I will say, I prefer the movie to Taming. It cuts off before all the super misogyny begins.

Midsummer and Macbeth are both wonderful! I hope you enjoy them

Zibilee said...

I have never read any Shakespeare, except Romeo and Juliet in high school, which I think was mandatory for everyone! I might have to pick something up, but I will certainly be reveling in your posts! Good luck with this, Darlyn!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I love that movie too. I'm going to try and fit some Shakespeare in my January reading schedule. I'll take any excuse to read the Bard.

simplerpastimes said...

I can't remember if I've ever read The Taming of the Shrew although I've seen both the play and the movie Ten Things I Hate About You (and I like it--so we can be friends!).

I'll be reading Shakespeare in January as well--definitely Twelfth Night and probably Much Ado About Nothing. I tend to prefer the comedies, although I'd like to eventually read all of Shakespeare's plays.

Jillian said...

Yay - I'm doing this too! If you're game, Risa is hosting an event on "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in January. :-)

Caro said...

Can we be friends if I haven't watched 10 Things I Hate About You but I now intend to? :D
Seriously now, I'm happy to see you're joining this challenge too. I haven't read much Shakespeare, but I did read and love Hamlet. Hamlet's monologue is some of the best literature I've ever read. I'm not too fond of Romeo and Juliet though- I basically closed the book every other page and rolled my eyes. It's a good satire but I can't for the life of me understand how it's considered romantic.

Rebecca Reid said...

the three you mention are WONDERFUL Shakespeare plays! looking forward to reading your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...