Monday, January 30, 2012

Monthly Wrap Up: January 2012


I don’t usually do these monthly wrap up posts. Actually, I never do these monthly wrap up posts, but I was feeling introspective. Also, a monthly wrap up post seems like a great way to review all the stuff I did this month (well, duh), and to examine how I’m fulfilling my 2012 Blogging and Reading Plans.

For reading, I only set two major goals for myself this year:
  1. Reread a bunch of old favorites. – I’m actually doing pretty good on this one. I reread Persuasion earlier this month, which I absolutely loved. I’m currently rereading Pride and Prejudice, which you can expect to hear about soon. After rereading most of my Austen novels, I’m going to crack my knuckles, and get started on the Harry Potter series. I’ve also created a page called Projects to track my progress. It’s pretty empty at the moment, but I hope to fill it up with things (I don’t know what kinds of things) soon.
  2. Read more books from the Modern Library’s 100 Best Novels list. – I kind of failed on this goal this month, but, what the hell, I have 11 months more in front of me.
For blogging, here are my 2012 goals:
  1. Post more often. – This is my thirteenth and last post for the month, same as December, so I think I’ve finally figured out a steady posting schedule—one that fits my lifestyle and one I can keep up with.
  2. Get more personal. – I can pat myself on the back for this one, because I’ve gotten EXTREMELY personal on some posts—even to the point of word vomiting.
  3. Host an event. – Epic fail on this one. I haven’t even brainstormed an idea for a blogging/bookish event. I’m kind of hoping the intrawebz will forget I ever posted such foolishness, but, alas, I must man up and pull up my britches.
What about you? How are you doing with your reading or blogging goals and plans?

8 comments:

Ben said...

I wanted to respect my limit of one post a day. I will finish January with 29, so there's that. I'm very happy to see you update YMD more, Darlyn. You're a singular voice in the blogosphere and there's not enough of that.

Andi said...

GREAT goals! I like keeping it simple. It keeps me from failing! I need to re-read more in 2012 as well. It's been far too long.

Zibilee said...

You sound like you had a great reading month, and like you have some very awesome goals for the upcoming year. I look forward to watching you progress through them all!

Audra said...

I've never done monthly wrap up posts either but the idea is vaguely appealing -- to see what floats to the top, whether goals were hit, etc.

Congrats, btw, on hitting some of your goals. I loved rereading Persuasion when I did it...two years ago?. So.good.

I love the more personal voice in book blogs -- but I find reading to be very relational -- how someone else sees a book helps me see a book -- so this is my very convoluted way of saying thanks for sharing! ;)

Can't wait to see what your event will be -- I keep thinking I'd love to vlog or do a podcast but courage fails me.

mooderino said...

I only do two posts a week, and find that very tiring. Each post tends to be quite long though.

Trying to do rewrites at the moment so only finished a couple of novels this month. Would probably get more done if I put away the video games.

mood

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

I've really enjoyed the more personal reviews, I'm glad they are working out for you.

And congrats on the rereading! This is something I always say I am going to do but I get distracted by the shiny new books....

Jillian said...

I love that you're devoting so much of your reading time to re-reading. I need to do that. I have committed to myself to read one a year, but I know eventually I'll want more...

Dickens is my focus for February, which goes great with your blog title. :D

Kailana said...

It sounds like you are off to a good start!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...