Friday, February 10, 2012

Latest Acquisitions: The Mini-Haul

I’ve been pretty good about book-buying lately. Can you believe I’ve only bought two books since my last Latest Acquisitions post (Jan. 6, 2012)? Shocker, I know.

I haven’t stayed away from the bookstores. Not at all. It’s just that I’ve been disheartened by the utter lack of classics in our local bookstores. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck? North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell? Lady Chatterley’s *Ahem* Lover by D.H. Lawrence? Not a single one out of the three titles can be found in our biggest bookstore chain. If I’m lucky, I can find a battered copy at the second bookstore.

With that said, let us move on to my finds.

  1. Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh - I found this lovely edition at my favorite secondhand bookstore (as usual). I don’t really like series or movie tie-in covers, but this one has Jeremy Irons on the cover and a great 1940s feel. To be honest, I have no idea what the book is about, but, while I was looking up some information about Graham Greene, I learned that Evelyn Waugh was commonly branded a ‘Catholic’ novelist. I don’t know how he felt about that, but I’m eager to see why he was given that label.
  2. East of Eden by John Steinbeck - Even if I know that the film is completely different from the book, I’ve wanted to read this book since I saw the James Dean movie a couple of years ago. I got the Cain-and-Abel-sibling-rivalry bit, but I missed a ton of things. So, I really hope I like this book more if not as much as the movie.
What about you? Have you gone on any book-buying sprees lately?

8 comments:

Joanne said...

I picked up The Scarlet Letter and Daniel Deronda at my library's book sale this week. 20p each! I felt like I was robbing them.

Zibilee said...

Oh my gosh, these two are both AMAZING books! I loved them both for different reasons, and even though it's been awhile since I've read them, they both still resonate with me powerfully. I am so happy you got these two! How wonderful! Can't wait to hear what you think!

Ben said...

Steinbeck is underrated. Everything he did outside of OF MICE AND MEN scares the shit out of college teachers, but it's what he has done best.

Kailana said...

January was a crazy month for me... I had gift cards and things...

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

East of Eden is the Steinbeck I most want to read.

I may have gone on a buying spree this morning. I was all set to reread my childhood copy of Little Women when I saw the word ABRIDGED on the title page, how had I never noticed it before? Anyway, I preordered the Penguin Threads version that comes out in April and may have picked up a few of the gorgeous Penguin Hardback Classics...

Andi said...

WOW! I'm shocked that you can't find these classics--especially in a chain store! That's madness.

I haven't bought any books lately, but I still have an avalanche of them coming in from the library (holds, oh the holds), and I've had a ridiculous amount of review books come in even though I didn't think I was accepting many these days. Funny how perceptions become skewed. Ack!

Miss Marj said...

Haha! That is just so true. Here in our province, we only have two (so-so) book stores: NBS and Booksale. I came up with a list of 60 classics to read and I can't find them in both stores. So for now, I'm using my Mobipocket reader and bringing my hefty laptop everywhere I go. Argh!

Andi said...

I've been buying classics like a crazy person. I've added many Penguin (Threads, Deluxe Classics, and English Library) editions to my shelves lately. My very first Waugh (Vile Bodies) is on its way to me from BookCloseouts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...