Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Why I Forgot to Post About Dickens' 200th Birthday

I actually wanted to write something commemorating Dickens’ 200th birthday (my blog is named after the guy, after all), but something happened that pushed all thoughts of him out of my mind.

Last February 6, an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.8 shook my little corner of the world. A couple of hours before the earthquake, I fell asleep while reading Barbara Kingsolver’s The Poisonwood Bible. The book is about a missionary who goes with his family to the Belgian Congo, and the culture of the Congolese—particularly the way they send messages from village to village using drums—is detailed in the book.

When I woke up, my bed and bookshelf were shaking, and, for five unbelievably long seconds, I thought I was dreaming about drums in the Congo. After my brain processed that, yes, our entire house was really shaking, I ran out of the house as quickly as I could. I hugged myself by our gate, wishing the earthquake would stop soon.

It was terrifying, and we are still feeling the aftershocks of the earthquake. In fact, while typing this post, another aftershock shook the sofa I’m sitting on.

I haven’t slept very well since the earthquake, because I keep waking up every thirty minutes or so. I can never be sure if I wake up because the earth is really shaking again, or if it’s just my imagination.

I know a lot of people went through worse things than I did. Some people even died because of the landslides caused by the earthquake, and a lot of people’s properties were damaged. I didn’t lose anyone or anything, and that really put how lucky I was into perspective. If fate had decided otherwise, I could have easily been in those other peoples’ shoes.

So, I’m posting this here, just in case I forget in the future and wonder why I didn’t say anything about Dickens’ 200th birthday (which I think is a completely important event). I didn’t post anything, because I got distracted by the shaking of the earth.

11 comments:

Kristen M. said...

That seems like an entirely legitimate reason to pass on the celebration! It's one of those times where real life is just more important than books or blogs or whatever else. I hope that the aftershocks ease up soon and that you are able to sleep again. :P

Jillian said...

I used to live in a state here in the US where earthquakes were very common. I know how it feels and am sending good thoughts!

bibliophilica said...

Hi Darlyn,
Glad to hear you are alright. I've only ever been in "minor" earthquakes (thanks to my geography) - can hardly imagine what it must be like...
-Jay

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

Holy cow! glad you're all safe & sound. where do you live?

Zibilee said...

Oh my gosh! Darlyn! I am so sorry that this happened to you! It was probably really frightening and horrible, and I can understand why you neglected a Dickens post. I think he would have understood as well. Be safe over there.

Brenna said...

Totally ligit to not post in the aftermath of the disaster, Darlyn. I'm happy to hear you are ok :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I can't believe you were in the middle of that. I'm so glad you were ok. Isn't it amazing that we can remember exactly what we were reading when major event happen in our lives.

Audra said...

Eeek! How frightening! I'm glad you and yours are safe -- be gentle with yourself and take care.

CHE said...

I've been caught in a minor earthquake once and although no serious damage was done to life or property, I remember how terrifying it was. Glad you are unharmed. Take care.

amanda @ simplerpastimes said...

I read about the quake earlier this week, and wondered if you were okay. I'm glad to hear that you and your loved ones are safe. Best of wishes.

Caro said...

I'm so sorry, Darlyn. It must have been terrifying, the actual earthquake and the aftermath. I'm so relieved to know you're okay.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...