Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Classics Club


So, Jillian over at A Room of One’s Own officially founded The Classics Club, and it’s safe to say the club has gone viral. Bloggers from all over the world have joined, and The Classics Club has kind of, you know, taken over Goodreads. (I’m not exaggerating, I swear.)

Basically, here are the rules:

  • You must have a blog.
  • You must post a list of classics that you intend to read. The list can be composed of 50, 200, or 1057465465 books. It’s your choice.
  • You must set a deadline for yourself to complete all the books in your list.
  • You must choose a prize to reward yourself with once you actually read everything.

I think The Classics Club is going to bring a sense of focus to my reading. I have a very short attention span, and get distracted by new (to me, at least) books easily. For example, I’d already laid out a plan to read all the books in my TBR pile, but I kept on discovering awesome classics on Project Gutenberg. It’s a vicious cycle, I know.

Anywho, here’s my list (in no particular order):

  1. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
  2. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  5. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  7. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
  8. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
  9. The Man in the Iron Maske by Alexandre Dumas
  10. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
  11. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
  12. The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington
  13. Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
  14. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  15. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
  16. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
  17. Sula by Toni Morrison
  18. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
  19. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
  20. Brideshead Revisited Evelyn Waugh
  21. Beloved by Toni Morrison
  22. One Day in the Life of Ivan Desinovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
  23. Cyrando de Bergerac by Rostand
  24. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
  25. Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
  26. Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  27. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
  28. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  29. My Antonia by Willa Cather
  30. Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
  31. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
  32. The Day of the Locust by Nathanael West
  33. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
  34. Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
  35. McTeague by Frank Norris
  36. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  37. Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
  38. The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  39. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
  40. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
  41. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
  42. Dracula by Bram Stoker
  43. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  44. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
  45. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
  46. Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
  47. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  48. Middlesex by Jefrrey Eugenides
  49. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  50. The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster
  51. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

My list is mostly novels with a single nonfiction work (I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou), and I hope to finish it before the May 11, 2014. I finish around 110 books (more or less) per year, so I think two years gives me enough to finish all the books in my list AND explore other books I might be interested in, just in case I get antsy.

And the reward?

I’m still thinking about that. I want to reward myself with something luxurious, but I'm not making myself any promises right now.

If you want to join The Classics Club, you can sign up here.

9 comments:

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

I'm pleased the Classics Club is doing so well, and I like the sound of your list.

I'm not joining myself as I'm no good with deadlines and pressure, but I am definitely looking forward to all the reviews that will come out of it.

Jillian said...

Woot for so many of your titles, Darlyn!! I need focus too, so the list with the set end date definitely helps.

1, 4, 6, 14, 51 (FIFTY-ONE!!) -

I'm especially excited to read your thoughts on those five.

I'm glad you joined, Darlyn!

mooderino said...

I've got a few of those on my TBR pile. Glad to see McTeague there, a favourite of mine.

mood

Caro said...

I'm still compiling my list (it's hard), but I already see we share some of the titles: 11, 14, 19, 23, 24 and more.
And oh, I CAN'T WAIT to see what you think of The Picture of Dorian Grey and The Importance of Being Earnest. Two of my favorite books (well, TIoBE is a play, but still).

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Wonderful choices! I worked on my list this weekend and finally posted it. I love this idea.

Teacher/Learner said...

Great list! I love Sense & Sensibility and I hope you love To Kill a Mockingbird (it's beyond brilliant).

amanda @ simplerpastimes said...

Great list! I think we have a quite a few of the same titles on our lists, although you're aiming to be finished a lot sooner. :)

And of course, I keep finding titles that I wonder why I didn't include...

Brenna said...

I've seen this post on SO MANY blogs and I'm really getting quite close to joining. The only thing is that I really enjoy participating in the classics challenge every year and I feel like it's kind of the same thing, insofar as I list a bunch of classics I want to read.

You've got some great choices on your list. I especially liked The Moonstone and Middlesex.

RosellettRed said...

Hello, fellow classics-clubber! Always love it when I find a new book blog. :) From what I've seen so far, we have fairly similar tastes in reading!

~Gillian
youngyankeelady.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...