Friday, April 27, 2012

On Losing and Gaining Interest

This April, I’ve been thinking a lot about what I intend to do with this blog. I had reached a point where blogging and even reading stopped being fun.

I blame George Orwell’s 1984.

My blogging and reading block started when I reached the middle of the book. I thought it was pretty good, until I realized there was a thesis on economic quality right smack in the middle of it. The semi-not-really thesis I’m talking about is thirty pages long, and the main character is supposed to be reading it. Well, guess what, Orwell? Your hipster-rebel character might have to read that stupid-thesis-but-not-really, but I don’t. I get what you’re saying about the unfairness of it all, but you don’t have to stuff your beliefs down my throat. I hate it when authors are this manipulative. *Shakes fist at Orwell.*

I also won’t hesitate to point a finger at George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the book. All the characters are so wonderfully fleshed out with believable flaws and perfectly logical motives—so rare these days. I just keep putting it down, because I’m afraid one of the characters I love so much (Forget Sansa. I love Jon Snow, Eddard Stark, Arya Stark, and Tyrion Lannister.) will be killed off or something. If you’re wondering, I haven’t seen a single episode of the HBO series yet.

However, I am thankful for The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

Before I read the book, I was getting really antsy, not to mention depressed. I was reading 1984 by George Orwell, Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, and A Few Green Leaves by Barbara Pym, and I couldn’t finish a single one of them. It was so frustrating, and not finishing a single book also meant that I didn’t have anything to blog about. The Princess Bride was the perfect book for my mindset at the time. I finished it in a couple of hours, and, in the end, I wanted to babble about it (through my blog, of course). I might have forgotten how much I love reading, but The Princess Bride definitely made me remember.

I can’t believe I actually thought of writing a farewell post for this blog. I can’t do that. I just celebrated my first bloggiversary a couple of months ago, and I just turned twenty-one. This blog has become a huge part of my life, and I’ve written about all the important things in my life here.

So, believe it or not, you will still be seeing (or reading?) me

10 comments:

mooderino said...

I think it's only natural to feel up and down over time. Sometimes I read vocraciously, other times I don't want to read another page. I tend to go with the flow, after all, there aren't any rules to follow.

Princess Bride is a great book, one of my faves.


mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino
The Funnily Enough

Red said...

It's natural to go through a reading slump (which with a book blog naturally leads to a blogging slump) from time to time. Reading something like the Princess Bride that reminds you of why you love to read is a great way to burst through that slump. Just don't force yourself to read or blog because it will stop being fun and start being work.

Zibilee said...

I think we all go through times where we want to run screaming from blogging and reading, but the fact that you came back, and got over an awfully depressing reading slump is wonderful news. I had been missing your pithy and well worded posts, and despite the fact that you haven't been around, I have been wondering about you. Glad to hear that the right book made a difference, and glad to see you back!

Brenna said...

I'm so glad you didn't say farewell! Slumps happen to all of us, but the great thing about book bloggers is we are all here when you get out of your slump, whether that be a few weeks or a few months.

Ben said...

Darlyn, by running a blog you don't owe anything to anybody. There will always be a readership thanks to the internet 2.0 and the RSS feeds that new include the blogger follows.

Please when you blog, make sure you're doing it for you first. If you feel like saying things about a book, we'll be happy to read you. If not, we'll just be waiting for your next post. Don't put pressure on your shoulder. Blogging is fun, it doesn't earn you a dime, so keep it fun. It's OK if you don't blog for a month or two or six. If you get that itch to talk, you know you got readers.

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

I agree with Ben, don't put pressure on yourself. I took a break from my blog and from commenting pretty much all week and it felt great. We will all still be here whenever you decide to post.

The Princess Bride is a great book, isn't it? It makes me feel happy whenever I read it.

Cassandra said...

Wow, my heart almost stopped when I read this post. It sounds too much like farewell to me!
We all experience those slumps and it is always a relief to overcome them (to your readers too!).
I'm glad you're back on track, after all: What would you do with Captain Wentworth if you stopped blogging? :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I loved reading The Princess Bride! Sometimes you just need the perfect book to turn things around. Don't ever let this blog stress you out. Slumps happen, but then they disappear. I'm incredibly nervous about reading the Game of Thrones books. I'm curious, but I'm just not sure if I'll like them.

amanda @ simplerpastimes said...

I'm so glad you found a way out of your reading slump! Sometimes certain books just seem to prompt slumps, and sometimes it's just bad timing.

Alex in Leeds said...

I actually keep a stash of little 100-200 page books to one side of my to be read stack. If I hit a slump, I dive into this stash. Nothing in there requires commitment or huge backstory details and it normally only takes me one or two of these books to re-discover that I love books again. Otherwise, chocolate and taking the book to go reading in the park helps!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...