Saturday, July 7, 2012

A New Look: (Literally and Figuratively)


I’m almost ashamed to post this after more than two months of absence.

This is the part where I should start making excuses, but I don’t want to go there. I could say I was busy with school, but I’m not actually a student anymore. I could say I was busy with work, but who isn’t?

I guess I started hating this blog, because it turned something I loved (reading) into an obligation. I became obsessed with writing, at least, three reviews every week. I sped through books, so I could write a review or a post about it.

When I disappeared from Your Move, Dickens, I had no intention of coming back. Don’t get me wrong. I will always treasure the people I met through this blog, but I simply wanted to get away from it. The obsessing over the number of daily page visits. The counting of followers. I knew that book blogging was about more than that, but I couldn’t get a grip on myself.

I read a lot of old posts last week. I cringed over the number of typos (sometimes, I typed ‘warm’ instead of ‘warmth’ which made me look like an idiot), but, overall, I realized how much I missed babbling over books, how I can’t shake this blog off no matter what I do.

So, I’ve decided to revive this blog. For good, I think.

Here are some things I’ve decided to change:
  • Unless it’s really necessary, I won’t post pictures from other sources. Most, if not all, of the photos you’re going to see on this blog from now on will be my own.
  • I will respond to five comments from other bloggers per day. I was really bad at returning comments before, but I hope to improve on this.
  • I won’t pressure myself to review something if I have absolutely nothing worthwhile to say about it.
In order to make this whole ‘revival’ thing seem even more concrete in my mind, I created a new layout. My old one was a bit harsh on the eyes. This one is simpler, and easier to navigate (I think).

Basically, I’m back. Prepare yourselves for more snarky/sappy posts about the classics.

How about you? What’s going in your blog right now?

14 comments:

Laura said...

Aw, I'm glad you're back! But I understand your leaving, because I think this, which is meant to be a hobby and so fun, should never feel like an obligation/work. So yeah, just do whatever you feel like and keep being awesome!

mooderino said...

I think a lot of bloggers set themselves overly ambitious goals for no apparent reason (there's no reason you have to post exactly three posts a week) and then give up when it turns into a chore.

I'd say post when you feel like it.

Will there be more vlogs? I liked them.

mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino
The Funnily Enough

Claudia said...

I read through your old posts and was sad that you seemed to have stopped updating. So yay for you being back and your 'no stress' plan sounds great! :)

bibliophilica said...

Glad to see you're back, and I'll be happy to see future posts no matter how frequently you do them. :-)
-Jay

Adam said...

I've been struggling with some of the same things, lately. I'm going back to school in the Fall (and will still be working full-time), so I fear I really will have to make some changes and ease up a bit on my blog, which has become like a second profession for me.

Glad you're back, though - and glad you have a new, workable direction to take this in!

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

Nice to see you back! :)

Andi said...

Glad to see you back but easing up on yourself. I'm a big proponent of reading what you want, when you want. And the same philosophy holds true for blogging! It should be fun, first and foremost.

Fanda said...

Hi, actually I just found your blog couple of weeks ago, and hoped you'd be back soon. So, I'm glad you're really back now!

About typo, I feel the same, I'm an Indonesian and English is just a second language, so sometimes (often actually :D) I made a stupid mistakes on the grammar. But I think, the more we write, the better our writing will be. So, keep writing and blogging!

Kristen M. said...

I used to feel that same obligation too and it lost the fun. I wasn't reading longer books because of my blogging schedule and I LOVE long books! It's always tempting to quit but then you miss the people and the book chat and the outlet to share. I'm glad you chose to come back! Have fun with it!

Aarti said...

I completely understand why you felt blogging became more of an obligation than a hobby. It can feel that way a lot of times, and can be so exhausting, but it's just nice to have a group of people with which to share books with.

As for the follower count and all that - I don't think it matters much if you don't review a lot of new books.

amanda @ simplerpastimes said...

Welcome back! I hope you can keep your blogging and reading as a fun pastime and not feel the pressure from it. I try not to worry about a specific schedule or number of posts (unless I'm participating in an event), and I think that really helps. Happy reading week!

Red said...

Welcome back! I understand what you mean about blogging and reading becoming a job instead of a hobby so leaving (or taking a break) makes sense. But I'm glad you liked it enough to come back. Just remember that this is supposed to be fun and if it starts to become work again take a step back and remember why you like doing it in the first place.

Ben said...

Darlyn, you're a darling.

Never. Pressure. Yourself.

Especially not with blogging.

We love your reviews, that's all. We're not expecting anything.

Kelly Schiro said...

Hey my friend and I just started a literature blog: http://letsflyaway3.wordpress.com/. We would love it if you would check it out and maybe give us some tips!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...