Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Importance of the About Me Page



This is me being creepy on the internet.

I’m going to admit to some of my slightly stalkerish tendencies here.

Whenever I stumble across a new (to me, at least) book blog, I always visit the About Me page first if there is one.

No, I don’t look for addresses, pictures of firstborns, or blackmail material. I usually look at the blogger's favorite books (dearsweetjesus, please don't say Twilight/Fallen) and why they started a book blog (on a quest to read books in the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels List? to stay sane? to have a creative outlet?). Knowing the little details, like his or her favorite book is Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier, makes reading posts a little more personal, like you’re communicating with a real person instead of a computer screen.

For me, The About Me page sets the tone for the actual blog. When I read a short bio on a book blogger’s About Me page, I can start to tell if they blog with a humorous, completely serious, or warm voice. I get a handle of what the rest of the blog is like.

Since About Me pages fascinate me so much, I wondered how I come across when people read my About Me page (which, I assure you, isn’t often). Slightly deranged might be the answer to that, but that’s just me. On a serious, however, I did try to sound like myself on my About Me page, including smalls details like my fascination with Ryan’s Goslings abs or how much I love The Great Gatsby. Those are just tiny things that don't sum up who I am, but I hope they make people feel like we could  be friends in, like, real life.

So, do you think About Me pages make the whole blogging experience a little more personal? Do you also check out the About Me pages of other bloggers or am I just really, really nosy?

15 comments:

Audra said...

I don't think I ever click on an About Me page unless I'm interested in connecting with a blogger (like via twitter) and can't find that info on the main blog page. I don't even have an about me page -- it seemed too self-centered! Now I wonder if I should -- it hadn't occurred to me that would be a way for readers to get a sense of me and my mood. (I'm not sure I could limit myself to even a dozen favorite books as examples).

Laura said...

I love About Me pages, which is why I eventually wrote one after not having a proper one for a year- I just feel like, I like knowing a little more about the *person* behind the blog, as well as what they like to read (I also like contents pages so I can see what they have read/liked). So yeah, I find them really helpful and interesting, and I hope that people like mine, cause it took me like a whole day to write (I really can't write about myself...)

Ana @ things mean a lot said...

Yep, I feel similarly about them. I love it when they're detailed and give me a real glimpse of who the personal behind the blog is (which obviously doesn't have to include any uncomfortable personal information).

Claudia said...

I can't write a non-rambling one to save my life, but I do love About Me pages. I think they are among the first things I try to find on a blog. They generally make me feel more connected to the blogger. It only happened once that I disliked the tone of the About page so much that I felt I didn't want to read anything else on that blog.

Zibilee said...

I like checking them out too, and can usually tell if I will like a blog based on some of the info there. I also don't go all stalkery, but do like to know what I am getting myself into before I fully commit!

angus25 said...

And this made me check your About Me page and mine as well (although I separate the about the blog and about me pages). Anyway, in my case, I check the list of reviews first because About Me pages tend to be personal. I'd like to know first what books the blogger is reading and writing about before I gather some personal info about him or her.

Charlie said...

I tend to read the newest post on a blog and if I like what I read I'll have a look at the about page to get a better idea of whether or not the blog is one I'd like to follow. So the about page is important to me, though I'm aware that's pretty hypocritical considering I only recently got round to writing one for my own blog (beforehand it was one pointless paragraph).

It does make you feel a bit stalkerish but then people write them to be read and as you say, people don't tend to do it for personal details beyond those provided.

Andi said...

I LOVE the About Me page. Love. I feel cheated if there isn't one.

o said...

I love the About Me pages as well, but I hate to see when someone's gone on mine: been meaning to re-write mine for an age, it's so out of date!

Laurie C said...

I check About Me pages too. I'm pretty much just a book review blog, but a review doesn't mean much if you don't have a sense of what a person usually likes!

goraya said...

Embedded within the moving industry are the services of truck/trailer/moving equipment rental companies and companies selling moving supplies for people who want to pack and move themselves. Then they use a professional mover to load a moving van, drive it to the new residence and then unload it there.For all those who hate wasting time in shifting, Removals in surrey is for you.

Chelo said...

About Me pages is actually one of the first pages I visit (after initially reading and interesting post by the blogger, that is).

I think it's a necessary for bloggers to have for a better reader/blogger connection :)

Miss Courtney said...

I only check it after I've read a couple of posts and if there are recent posts, like within the past couple of months. It drives me nuts if there isn't an About Me page.

akshay said...

Great information. About me page is really very important. Thank you.

Margarita said...

I just started a blog where I'd post some thoughts on books I've read. This post of yours made me realize that I haven't created an About Me page yet LOL. Thanks!^^

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...